Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combix Fix on External

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 eclark53

eclark53

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

How do you run Combofix on an external drive? I have a external drive which I suspect is infected. But I do not know how to rub combofix on the external drive. Combofix usually work on the C drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Estelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:03 PM

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. When issues arise with new malware infections or other security tools conflicting with ComboFix, experts are aware of them and can advise users what should or should not be done while providing assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

What specific issues are you having that requires using ComboFix?

Compliments of QuietMan7

#3 eclark53

eclark53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:09 PM

Now that was a fast reply. I have a 500GB external drive that does not show drive contents on either of my several computers. Windows has said prompted saying that the drive needs formatting, however, I know this drive should not need formatting as it had approx 150 gb of data on it. So I was wondering if perhaps it has a virus. I really don't know what the deal is. All I can say is that the drive shows up and empty.

Thanks,
Estelle

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

It could be that the drive has simply failed, and that it is no longer spinning up or being detected.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

Hi Estelle -

I must agree with cryptodan, this is not a job for ComboFix.
This tool is specifically only to be used with certain infections, and then only under expert supervision -

Use other methods first to check as to why the drive is not recognised.
Look at Control Panel and see if it is recognised as being installed, or in My Computer to see if any items on the drive are recognised.

Regards -

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Is the drive reflected there?

If so, post the data reflected for it.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 October 2011 - 08:19 PM.

#7 eclark53

eclark53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

The drive is detected by the computer in Device Manager, Disk Management, and Windows Explorer but it shows as being 100% free and needing format. That is not the case, this drive has at least 150 mb of data. It does spin and you can feel the heat from the drive. As far as the system is concerned it has no data and needs formatting.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:19 PM

What kind of drive is it?

#9 eclark53

eclark53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:45 AM

It is a 500 GB hard drive. I want to run Combofix on this drive. Whatever the consequences, the situation could not be any worse that it is now. Now do you run Combofix on an external drive???? That is all I ask. If this does not work, I will send the drive back to Western Digital for a replacement under warranty. They are not going to backup any data and send it to me. At any rate, the drive is not functioning and at present it cannot be backedup. So my data is going on to data heaven whatever the case may be.

#10 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

Why don't you backup your data if it's important to you? The data needs to be on 2 separate physical drives for it to be properly backed up. Just throwing stuff unto the external is NOT a backup.

This may help you. Read the documentation thoroughly.

If you can't retrieve your partitions with TestDisk, format it before presuming the drive is bad.

Edited by .X., 02 October 2011 - 06:08 AM.

#11 eclark53

eclark53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:43 AM

Now the drive is not being detected by Windows. It is not in the Device Manager and It is not shown in Computer Management. It starts spinning and stops. Thanks for the help. I am going to send this back to Western Digital.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

Combofix is a very powerful tool and should not be used unless instructed to do so. The use of combofix is restricted, because it is a tool that is used as a last resort for malware cleanup.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

If the drive is not being detected in Disk Management...it seems likely that there is a hardware problem with the drive/enclosure.

Neither ComboFix nor any other malware application...will solve that.

Louis

#14 versanick

versanick

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

I have been searching for the answer to the OP for some time now.

I have a Dell Inspiron that I know to be infected with DOS/Alureon.A.

I have removed the hard drive from the infected machine, and plugged it in to another machine to scan and fix it.

TDSSKiller looks, as well, like it runs on the local (booted) OS and drive. How can I run Combofix on the external drive, as the OP asked?

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

Please read the reply from cryptodan @ Post #2

Repeated Here >> ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users