Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformat Win7

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Irisim1

Irisim1

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

Hi,
I've been hit by viruses in the past months and I believe that ever since I got this computer - less than a year ago, there were problems with the security as I've had a difficult time updating Windows, and maybe that's the reason I got hit twice in less than one year, even though I used virus protection and firewall. So I figure, since I don't have this computer for very long, there isn't that much stored , so I might as well back up and store whatever is on the HD and reformat the system, start afresh. I did once reformat an old computer - it was Win XP, and that is all the experience I have had so far, so I'm wondering if anyone has any pointers for me before I start. In general I believe I only need to insert the OS disk and reboot, making sure it boots from disk, and then wait for prompts and choose to reformat. Is this correct? Also, to back up, I'm going to move my picture and document files to my old computer. Is that all I need to know?

Thank you very much for your help! :hello:
Iris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

1) Boot to the W7 dvd, choose to delete the current partition, recreate the partition, format and install. After installing, install all drivers starting with the chipset driver. Then install a GOOD anti virus app. Then go to Windows update and download all software updates (NEVER download hardware / driver updates from Windows Update - drivers should only be obtained from the OEM websites).

2) If you are going to copy files from the infected system to the new system, be 100% certain the files are not infected.

#3 Irisim1

Irisim1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

Hi Allan, thank you!
This is very helpful advice!
I suppose the chipset driver is called that? (I don't know what it is but it will be easy to find?)
What do you recommend as a good antivirus? (Malwarebites maybe?)
I think my system is already virus free, but there may be some remnants of corrupted files. The only files I'm going to save are mainly pictures I took with my camera and maybe a few documents. Is there a way to make sure they are not infected?
Thanks so much again!
Iris

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Hi Allan, thank you!
This is very helpful advice!
I suppose the chipset driver is called that? (I don't know what it is but it will be easy to find?)

Go to the website of your computer manufacturer. It will be called a chipset driver or an smbus driver.

What do you recommend as a good antivirus? (Malwarebites maybe?)

MalwareBytes is not an anti virus application. If you want something for free, the best options are Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira, or Avast. If you want to pay for an app there are many good choices. You can ALSO use MalwareBytes and/or Super Antispyware to run regular scans.

I think my system is already virus free, but there may be some remnants of corrupted files. The only files I'm going to save are mainly pictures I took with my camera and maybe a few documents. Is there a way to make sure they are not infected?

Scan each of them with an AV

Thanks so much again!
Iris

#5 Irisim1

Irisim1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:33 PM

"Go to the website of your computer manufacturer. It will be called a chipset driver or an smbus driver."
-Do I do this AFTER the reinstallation of the OS? (I apologize if it's an obvious answer, but I'm really not a techy).
I've been using MSE as protection, and before that I've used premium programs like McAfee, all of those didn't prevent virus attacks completely. Someone on this forum recommended Malwarebytes premium service as a regular protection. I tend to trust this name because this program is the one that got rid of the virus that the other programs weren't able to detect and protect me from.
I've been scanning my system and no virus was detected, so does that mean the files are safe?
Thank you!

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

You can use malwarebytes IN ADDITION to an anti virus app, not instead of. MalwareBytes is not an anti virus application. And McAfee is worthless, in my opinion

As for the drivers, you can download them now and save them to a usb drive or some other off-disc medium, then install them after you install the OS.

#7 Irisim1

Irisim1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

OK, I didn't know that about malwarebytes. Is a free AV protection sufficient or would you recommend buying one? I have no idea which are the good ones.

Regarding the drivers - do you mean the chipset ones? or all the drivers in the computer? I wouldn't know where to start..

Can i back up the drivers on my old computer? (the old computer has a Win XP OS). In order to transfer files and programs do I just need to connect an Ethernet cable?

I appreciate your help!

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:50 PM

What is the make and model of your computer?

Also, I've already listed some good, free AV's.

#9 Irisim1

Irisim1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

yes you did, great, and if you say it's sufficient I will use them!
The computer is Dell Inspiron
Intel Core i3 CPU M370 @2.4Ghz 2.39 GHz
4 GB RAM
Maybe it's more info than what you asked for? :blink:

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:16 PM

Go to the dell website and enter your service tag number. The drivers for your system will be listed. Download the ones for Windows 7 and install them after you install the OS. Be sure to install the chipset driver, preferably first.

#11 Irisim1

Irisim1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

Thanks, Allan. I apologize for being so slow, but I'm still not sure: Download the drivers now and instal them after? or do both later?
Also, will it work to download them to a blank disc (DVD-R 4.7 GB data)?

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

If I were you I'd download them now so they are ready to install. And you can save them to any medium you like.

#13 Irisim1

Irisim1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

Alright, I will do it now. Thank you. I will update later, hopefully it will all work smoothly with no problems! Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

You're welcome. I'll be logging off shortly, but there's always someone around to help if you have any more questions.

#15 Irisim1

Irisim1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:34 AM

If there's anyone who can help at this time - I am now about to install Win 7, right now in the install window that asks "where do you want to install windows?" I should delete the partition but I'm not sure which is the one I should delete, the one that says 'OSDisk 134.4GB system' or the one that says ' Recovery, 13.7 GB primary'?
I'm guessing I should delete the 'system' partition, but I'm not sure...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users