Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Simple question: Using a working laptop as monitor for one that has broken monitor?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FuchsiaIce

FuchsiaIce

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

All right, I should know how to do this but I'm so frustrated and sick because of this I can't think straight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My son's 25 day old computer I was setting up for a surprise for him when he comes off deployment got a broken monitor. I won't bore you, suffice it to say no external or outside force caused this to happen (I'm speaking to Lenovo right now). His computer is a Lenovo G570 running Windows 7 (honestly, I can't remember if it's the professional or home premium version right now). The monitor is damaged and nothing can be seen except bright white. Since I'm sending it off to the Depot repair I want to copy or transfer what I've already installed onto my external hard drive that's hooked to my laptop (Acer Aspire 5251-1805 running Windows 7 Home Premium), so I want to use my laptop's monitor as his monitor by hooking the computers together.

This damage just happened, I'm talking less than an hour ago, so forgive me for being rattled and all over the place with this. I know there's an easier way I just cannot think of it currently.

His computer does not have an HDMI connection, my Acer does. Both computers have 2.0 USB ports (3x), VGA, and Ethernet. Does anyone have a suggestion how I can access his laptop using my monitor or direct connect the two to do the copy/transfer of files.

Again, I thank you for taking time to help me in this matter and I'm sorry I was all over the map. ::Grins.::
Fuchsia Ice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:52 AM

I dont think it would actually work as the port is designed for video out, not video in.

If you have a regular monitor that you can use you can connect that to the bad laptop & see if you get video.
That would at least tell you if it is in fact the display on the laptop or if it is the video chipset.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 FuchsiaIce

FuchsiaIce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

Eyesee,

Thank you for your reply. After I calmed down a bit (I'm still rather tiffed at Lenovo and their Customer Service) I realized it couldn't be done the way I was thinking. Anyway, I did as you suggested. It is the display and I managed to get everything copied before I sent it off to the Depot Repair where I'm hoping they will also conclude it was not end user fault and replace the faulty monitor.

Again, thank you for your time in replying to this question.
Fuchsia Ice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users