Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:25 AM

Hi all,don't know if this is the right forum but here goes.My grandson has a laptop with Vista and the screen has
s&%t the bed.He is going to get a new one anyway but is there a way to get all his files off.I thought I read somewhere
that you can hook up to puters and use with one monitor.If this is true can I hook his laptop up to my desktop and download all his files for him,thanx Tony.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

Yes, you can do that by connecting the monitor to the laptop. There is other ways to retrieve the files like taking out the hard drive and hooking it to your computer.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

Connecting the monitor to laptop...won't accomplish anything useful, other than allowing you to see system contents...and that's only if it really is a hardware problem with the screen.

Either connect the two systems via a cable...or remove the hard drive from the laptop and connect it as a secondary drive to the desktop.

Google Links On File Tranfer

Louis

#4 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

Thanx for the response folks.Don't want to take out the hard drive,really isn't that important.I just thought I read somewhere that you could hook up the two together and use one monitor.I assume Louis has the answer,connecting with a cable,I will scout around to find some more info.
Thanx again,Tony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users