Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Company web site advice

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BFFE

BFFE

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:11 AM

Hi all, I know this is not an issue with how to build, but on how to effectively choose someone to build for you. We are a medical group and currently have a very limited web exposure all the ( prior to me coming in) they had purchased a contract for Search Engine Optimization attached to a landing page. This is not effective as I see it, but as I am working on this issue we have to do some site development. We will not be building this internally but need advice on selecting an appropriate vendor. It seems like everyone throws up a web site and says they are a developer. :) Please let me know your thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

Since html is relatively easy, anyone can hack together a wen page. You just need to interview potential developers until you find one that communicates well, has some examples to show you, and can explain why the principles they used to develop their pages (ie, why did you use a menu bar at the top of the page vs using a menu bar on the left hand side? Why this combination of colors.)

SEO is not worth the money if there is not a solid web presence to where people can be directed. Sending customers to a landing page is a waste of money (and IMHO, SEO is a waste anyway).

It is just like hiring anyone else. Interview until someone feels right. You might consider checking if any local colleges have computer science programs. They may have grad students that might be interested in helping out, and they will be considerably less expensive.

And finally, you get what you pay for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users