Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie 6 Is Haywire

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Wise

Wise

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:09 PM

Hello I tried the methods below and my IE is still now acting correctly. When using IE their are images broken all over the pages i view I install AOL and the samething some of the images are not appearing correctly. But when i use Firefox I can view the page correctly. What is the problem? how can i repair IE without losing any of my files.

The steps to do this method are as follows:

Click on the Start button and then click on the Run option.
In the Open field type sfc /scannow and press the OK button.
Follow the prompts through the scan and when it prompts you to reboot, do so.
Test to see if the problem is resolved. If it is, you can stop reading this document. If not, you should proceed to the second method.
Method 2: Tricking Windows into letting you reinstall IE6

Since you already have Internet Explorer 6 installed the operating system will not allow you to reinstall over the existing installation. Due to this we are required to trick the operating system into thinking IE 6 is not installed. Please note that in order to use this method we are required to edit the registry. Incorrect editing of the registry can cause serious harm to your operating system so it is advised you proceed with extreme caution.

Follow these steps for repairing Internet Explorer 6:

Click on the Start button and then click on the Run option.
In the Open field type regedit and press the OK button.
Navigate to the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}
Under that key you will see a entry named IsInstalled. Right click on that entry and left click on Modify.
Change the Value from 1 to 0.
Exit regedit.
Follow these steps for repairing

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:20 AM

Once you followed the second set of steps - did you visit Windows Update? It should offer to install IE6 for you.

If IE6 was installed and you still have problems we'll have to go deeper into the OS to find a fix. (FWIW - I never fix IE. If it was busted that bad, I suspect that it's a deeply rooted problem and just format and reinstall XP. A bit drastic, but it fixes it every time!)

Just a thought...try this extension for Firefox (IE Tab - http://ietab.mozdev.org/ ). Once installed (and Firefox has been restarted) - open a page, any page. Then right click on the page and select "View page in IE Tab". Does the page render properly?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users