Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:37 AM
Hello. I am new here. I believe starting a new thread is correct. If not, please direct me to the proper forum. Thanks.
Recently, I've had a problem with that infamous trojan/virus. Often times, when searching the web, it would redirect me to generic advertisement pages for the subject I was researching, or it directed me to stopzilla advertisements. After reading a ton of forums, I downloaded Spybot, hijackthis, and combofix. I decided to run them in preparation for this forum. However, combofix deleted some files (without my prompt) and corrupted programs. I found a recent restore point and have not used combofix since. I have ran the other two.
I've also downloaded and ran a number of other free programs in the hopes of finding the problem. After using Ad-aware, spybot, Avira, Avast, and Hijackthis a number of "threats" were discovered and "fixed" according to those programs. It has been two days, and I have not been redirected. My fear is (based on the many comments online) that it has not been fully eradicated. So, I've posted here in the hopes someone could assess the condition of my laptop.