Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirect Virus

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 neilbert

neilbert

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:37 AM

Hello. I am new here. I believe starting a new thread is correct. If not, please direct me to the proper forum. Thanks.

Recently, I've had a problem with that infamous trojan/virus. Often times, when searching the web, it would redirect me to generic advertisement pages for the subject I was researching, or it directed me to stopzilla advertisements. After reading a ton of forums, I downloaded Spybot, hijackthis, and combofix. I decided to run them in preparation for this forum. However, combofix deleted some files (without my prompt) and corrupted programs. I found a recent restore point and have not used combofix since. I have ran the other two.

I've also downloaded and ran a number of other free programs in the hopes of finding the problem. After using Ad-aware, spybot, Avira, Avast, and Hijackthis a number of "threats" were discovered and "fixed" according to those programs. It has been two days, and I have not been redirected. My fear is (based on the many comments online) that it has not been fully eradicated. So, I've posted here in the hopes someone could assess the condition of my laptop.

Windows 7.

Awaiting instructions,
Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Spartacus1

Spartacus1

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

Try running RKill (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rkill), SUPERAntiSpyware (http://www.superantispyware.com/)(UPDATE BEFORE SCANNING), and MalwareBytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/)(UPDATE BEFORE SCANNING) In this order.

Edited by Spartacus1, 01 October 2011 - 10:46 AM.

May thou virus bow at thy mercy when you come to me...

#3 akc1014

akc1014

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:26 AM

Neilbert, this sounds like the problem I've been having for a week or so. Along with the redirect, I am also getting new browser pop-ups saying I've won stuff, etc. (The other day, an advertisement ran even though I'd entirely shut down my browser--I had to completely disconnect from Wi-Fi to shut it off.)

However, I've also noticed--according to the Norton logs that keep popping up telling me I've been protected--that these "attacks" are happening every 16 minutes. Have you (or has anyone) noticed anything like this?

I did a search on this "every 16 minutes" phenom and discovered an old forum (not here) from back in 2002 discussing this very issue. Can't help but think, though, that fixes from 2002 will not help me here.

Anyway--I didn't want to start/duplicate a new thread if I could piggyback on someone else having the same issues, but I can, if this sounds like it needs a completely different fix.

AK

#4 mellowguy

mellowguy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

I am having this same problem. I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for a while now, but it's scan did not find anything. I then tried MBAM, Spybot S&D, and SUPERAnti-Spyware, as well as RDSSKiller (I think that's what it's called, I renamed it to make sure it could run.) I tried all of these just after running RKill. Here's the problem: None of them found anything. A few tracking cookies, but nothing that worked. Is there anything else I can do?

#5 neilbert

neilbert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:48 AM

AK: I have not noticed a time specific problem. That's interesting. If/When it starts again, I will pay attention to that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users