Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Capturing Error Message With Webcam??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rakuten

Rakuten

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:14 AM

Hello,

I'm at a loss here on how to capture the error messages that appear on my sansa e280 when I try to boot into sansalinux/zeroslakr.

Do you guys know of any good programs that can allow me to use my webcam to its fullest, and capture fast scrolling text on an mp3 player? ( and deal with the glare from the lcd light. )

I have an asus n53sv with built-in-webcam... Sorry if this isn't the right place to put this. Unsure where this goes.

Any Help Is Appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

I know there are programs in windows that take a screenshot of the BSOD when it occurs, but Im not familiar with any that use a webcam, or that work with linux. digital camera perhaps?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Rakuten

Rakuten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:01 PM

Hmm, getting an actual proper camera would probably work, but I don't have much money :\

No webcam programs around that is made specifically to get the most out of my built-in webcam for clearer pictures? Nothing better for my internal webcam than the default ASUS Lifeframe? Hmm.

I know that when in rockbox I can turn on 'screen dump' and when I plug it into my computer it takes a screenshot of the screen. But this wouldn't work for what I am trying to do unfortunately. I wonder if there are any programs that mirror what is shown on my mp3 onto my computer? Or take a screenshot when it gets plugged in.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

Like I said-no not really, I dont even think it is physically possible. For the web cam to work, it needs to be on a fully functional computer-if you have a BSOD, then by definition, the computer is not working. If you have a web cam on another fully functional computer, and are using it like a camera, then it may be a different matter.

The only program I am familiar with that can get blue screen information on the same computer, is bluescreenviewer But Im pretty sure it is a windows only program. Perhaps another option is to keep a pen and paper handy for next time it does it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Rakuten

Rakuten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

Ah, maybe I'm not too clear, so sorry if I wasn't, that or I've misunderstood your last post, sorry.

I have an MP3 that keeps scrolling an error message then rebooting with that error each boot.
I can't really read it all ( it goes too fast) so was wondering if my built in internal webcam on my computer could be good enough to capture this text that shows on my MP3 when it boots up. They are both separate machines, it's just a small MP3 player, so capturing text it shows with my webcam makes it a bit harder...

Hmm... I'm really unsure what to do .

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:12 AM

aaaah ok I see now, sorry I misunderstood. Depending on the size of the screen, and the quality of the web cam that may or may not work. There are programs out there that allow you to capture images/video via webcam, however they may not be good enough quality to read whats on the mp3 player screen. I dont have any suggestions for linux off the top of my head, though Im sure if you just did a software search you could find some. However, for windows theres programs such as msn webcam recorder

picard5.jpg

#7 Rakuten

Rakuten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:16 AM

Alright, I'll just try to find a good software for my webcam I guess. I'll try out the one that you mentioned, thanks. ^^
Edit: Hmm, it seems it won't install because microsoft .net 1.1 isn't compatible with windows 7...I'll try searching up a different one...
It'd make it easier if sansalinux just came with a error log system that put the boot up error at the root of my mp3 though :\ or a program that could display my mp3's screen directly onto my computer screen...

Well. Thanks For All Your Help =)
Have A Good Day ^^

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hello try cyberlink youcam free edition i use it ,it will do a time laps recording when you hold the mp3 player in front of it and you can view the video frame by frame .
http://download.cnet.com/CyberLink-YouCam/3000-2348_4-10764658.html

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users