to Bleeping Computer.
Please be advised that:
As this is an open area, available for any member to post in, please use caution when following the advice given. Instructions from the following member groups is to be considered trusted:
Admin | Site Admin | Global Moderator | Moderator | Malware Study Hall Admin | Malware Response Instructor | Malware Response Team | BC Advisor
Other trusted helpers include Malware Study Hall Junior and Malware Study Hall Senior with "Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!" in their signature.
From this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic182397.html
This doesn't mean that others are not allowed to post advice in the Am I Infected forum, just that the only trusted advice
is from members in the above groups.
My name is Jason and I'll be helping you with your computer problems. You can call me by my screename jntkwx or Jason is fine.
Some things to remember while we are working together.
- Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!
- Please do not attach logs or put logs in code boxes.
- Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.
- Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can also help.
- Do not run anything while running a fix.
- If you don't understand a step, please ask for clarification before continuing with any future steps.
Click on the Watch Topic
button and select Immediate Notification
and click on proceed
, this will help you to get notified faster when I have replied and make the cleaning process faster.Note to others: The instructions here are intended for the person who began this topic. If you need help, please create your own topic in the appropriate forum.
Let's try rebooting into Safe Mode
This can be done tapping the F8 key as soon as you start your computer
You will be brought to a menu with several options. Press the down arrow key on your keyboard until Safe Mode with Networking
is selected. Press Enter. Please see here
for additional details.
Please download MiniToolBox
and run it.
Checkmark following boxes:
- Report IE Proxy Settings
- Report FF Proxy Settings
- List content of Hosts
- List IP configuration
- List last 10 Event Viewer Log Errors
- List Installed Programs
- List Users, Partitions and Memory size
. Please put code boxes around just this entire log
, like this, but without the letter x: [xcode] MiniToolBox log [/xcode] Rerun MalwarebytesStill in Safe Mode with Networking, open Malwarebytes, click on the Update tab, and click the check for Updates button (the latest update as of this post is 7840)
- If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
- If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
- Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
- Then click on the Scan button.
- If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
- The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
- When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
- Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
- Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
- Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
- When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
- Exit MBAM when done.
If you have trouble updating, troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Still in Safe Mode, please download GMER
from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
- Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
- Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
- Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
- Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
- Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
- Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
- GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
- If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
- Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
- When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
- Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
- Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.
In your next reply, please include:
- MiniToolBox log
- Malwarebytes log
- GMER log
- How's your computer running now?