Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Takes extremely long to wake up computer!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 samak

samak

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:06 PM

I built a computer with the following specs:

running windows 7
computer is 64 bit.
processor: intel core 2 duo e7500 @ 2.93GHz
6 GB RAM

When the computer turns on, it turns on very fast and goes into windows very fast, it is ready to use in about one minute.

However, here is the problem: If I put the comptuer to sleep, then wake it up, it takes very long, maybe 6 minutes. Also, it does not wake up right away. In order to wake up the computer, this is what happens:
1) press any key to wake up computer
2) computer will start running, but monitor stays black
3) computer suddenly shuts off all power
4) at this point, it is necessary for me to manually press the "reset" button on the CPU
5) computer will start running again
6) screen says "resuming windows"
7) wait 4 minutes
8) windows finally loads.

This problem has always been there but i never tried to fix it, but now it is very annoying to have to wait so long every time i wake up the computer. What can be the cause of this problem? Is it most likely a hardware problem or software? If it is hardware, what can be wrong? Could the power supply be bad?

Any ideas would be very appreciated and helpful

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:24 PM

If I put the comptuer to sleep, then wake it up, it takes very long, maybe 6 minutes.
When the computer turns on, it turns on very fast and goes into windows very fast, it is ready to use in about one minute.

For this reason I have found it easier to just turn it off when not in use.

I generally see no reason to click the same amount of tabs, and not just turn it off -

Regards -

#3 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:42 AM

Try switching to 32bit. I notice similar performence issues when running win7 on 64bit.
Nosce te ipsum.

#4 IamRavaged

IamRavaged

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

Try switching to 32bit. I notice similar performence issues when running win7 on 64bit.

I personally use Win7 64bit and don't experience this, also it would be a waste if he can't use all of his ram.

Try going into Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options -> Click on "Change Plan setting" -> Change advanced power settings -> choose hard disk to automatically turn off to = Never (default is 20 mins). There might be a problem with your hard drive not handling win 7 correctly, also I've heard having a screensaver helps alleviate this problem.
HTC Sensation: S-OFF | ROOTED | Super CID | | OC 1.5ghz | [InsertCoin 2.5.3|Sensation XE Final|Bricked Kernel|Stable|

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:08 AM

I'm in the camp where I always shut down when not using a computer. After shutting down I flip the switch to disconnect AC Power to protect the P/S from surges. This also shuts down the external drives. Since I set my computer to turn on when power is restored 1 flip of the switch brings everything up.

I still get computers in that have startup issues after power problems where the power went on and off rapidly in the customers home.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

I personally use Win7 64bit and don't experience this, also it would be a waste if he can't use all of his ram.

Try going into Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options -> Click on "Change Plan setting" -> Change advanced power settings -> choose hard disk to automatically turn off to = Never (default is 20 mins). There might be a problem with your hard drive not handling win 7 correctly, also I've heard having a screensaver helps alleviate this problem.

Indeed, it's also dependant if it's FAT32, or NTFS and if he has at least 2+ gb's of RAM.

A screensaver could also be creating the problem. It's rather useless to have one these days as most use LCD's.
Nosce te ipsum.

#7 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:51 PM

I'm in the camp where I always shut down when not using a computer. After shutting down I flip the switch to disconnect AC Power to protect the P/S from surges. This also shuts down the external drives. Since I set my computer to turn on when power is restored 1 flip of the switch brings everything up.

I still get computers in that have startup issues after power problems where the power went on and off rapidly in the customers home.

You do realise it's perfectly fine to leave the switch on and just power down the tower, monitor & printer, right?
Nosce te ipsum.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:40 AM

You do realise it's perfectly fine to leave the switch on and just power down the tower, monitor & printer, right?

True I could do that. However Since I flip the switch on the power switch there is no way for a surge to get through and fry anything.

Plus this way I flip the switch on and the computer turns on along with external drives that have been off and safe from wear and tear.

I may only run the main home computer once or twice a week. It is true that I have the power strip plugged into a decent size UPS for additional safety. I'm a belts and suspenders type of person.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:30 PM

True I could do that. However Since I flip the switch on the power switch there is no way for a surge to get through and fry anything.

Plus this way I flip the switch on and the computer turns on along with external drives that have been off and safe from wear and tear.

I may only run the main home computer once or twice a week. It is true that I have the power strip plugged into a decent size UPS for additional safety. I'm a belts and suspenders type of person.

Actually, a surge protector will still protect you if plugs are in and devices are turned on. It's your setup, tho.
Nosce te ipsum.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

A surge protector will give protection until it has absorbed all it can absorb. Disconnecting the AC at a switch will protect better.

Flipping off the power means that the Computer power supply is not running in standby waiting for the power button press to turn on.With my settings the computer turns on at power restore. I also save wear and tear on the externals by removing the power.

My brother said you don't need to do that as long as you have a surge protector until a thunderstorm ate his 19" 4:3 monitor. He hates WS monitors BTW.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users