Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using recovery console

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DottieR

DottieR

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:55 PM

I had a really bad bunch of malware. Combofix seemed to clear it all out but damaged the os. Hard to get rid of trojans so I probably should reformat the disk.

I did an OS reinstall because that seemed to be the only option. Then it wouldnit boot to Windows. So I ran an XP repair. After a few non-starts it made it to windows. I got the CD going with uninstall and reboot. But now I have no keyboard in windows although it did start working in DOS

I have been trying to use the recovery console as that seems to be the right way to reformat. I can go to F12, choose recovery console, then I get a page which says:

1:C:\WINDOWS
Which windows installation would you like to log onto?

I tried typing 1, recovery console, format and a bunch of other stuff but it rejects it all as an not allowed command.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

Download Active@ Kill Disk bootable .ISO image. Extract the file. Burn the .ISO image file to CD with an .ISO burning software such as the one provided within the .zip file. Boot from the CD/DVD and wipe the hard drive on the machine in question.
Try reinstalling Windows afterward.

Inside the .zip file you should see this:

#3 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

Didn't work.
It booted up to the CD, but then wouldn't run it, said the drive wasn't ready.
If I try to run it from windows it says it can't start, improperly formatted.
There is something else on the CD, but it is the only CDR I have that works. The really cheap ones don work at all.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

Didn't work.
There is something else on the CD, but it is the only CDR I have that works. The really cheap ones don work at all.

Decent CDs only cost a few cents, (I just got a pack of TDK Gold 50 for $20) -
Get a small pack (10 or 20) for about 35 or 40cents each and use a new CD -

Thank You -

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:59 AM

<<I have been trying to use the recovery console as that seems to be the right way to reformat.>>

There is no format option available via the XP Recovery Console. The RC is a repair tool...reformatting is not a repair.

Formatting is part of the Windows installation process from a Genuine XP CD.

See Steps To Clean Install XP at http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html .

<<1:C:\WINDOWS
Which windows installation would you like to log onto?>>

Type 1 and hit Enter. Next line asks for password, just hit Enter. Next line calls for a bona fide RC command.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

See How To Use Recovery Console at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654&sd=tech .

Louis

#6 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:44 PM

Thanks, but I finally got the job done with killdisk.
Ran it twice.

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

All is well in the world again. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users