Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having trouble updating mozilla on the ubuntu OS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pentazoid

Pentazoid

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

I want to update mozilla firefox through the ubuntu linux terminal . I tried directly downloading an updated version of firefox directly from the mozilla website and when I try to extract the firefox.tar.bz file, I am unable to do so. I want to update the firefox web browser because I want to access pandora radio player who requires an updated version of firefox.

This is not a very straight forward process of downloading and updating a web browser in linux like it would be on a windows operating system , for all its faults.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:31 PM

Hi Pentazoid,

what version of Ubuntu are you using? What version of Firefox are you trying to run on it?

How did you try to install Firefox? The extension tar.gz indicates a zipped file, if using the command line, you can unzip the file by using the comannd tar xf filename. How is the file you extracted named? Can you give me the link from where you downloaded it?

regards myrti

Edited by myrti, 30 September 2011 - 01:34 PM.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Pentazoid

Pentazoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

I am using ubuntu 9.04. What I first tried to do was download an updated version of mozilla. I click on the 'firefox free downlaod 7.01 for linux i786 English (US)' button. I then open firefox-7.0.1.tar.bz2 with Archiive Manager (default). After I download the update, their is a window that pops up that says its 'reading archive' , then takes me to the archive manager where it only shows one firefox folder whose size is 29.2 MB and then click on the extract button and from there it takes me to the user menu and I am totally lost.

#4 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,784 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hi,

you need to extract the entire folder called "firefox" onto your system. Once this is done, you open the folder "firefox" with your file browser and launch the file called firefox. This should get you the new firefox. The download is not an update, it's the complete firefox 7.

This being said, you may want to consider updating your Ubuntu release as it is seriously out of date. Support and updates for that OS ended almost a year ago.

regards myrti

Edited by myrti, 30 September 2011 - 04:50 PM.

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 Pentazoid

Pentazoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

That did not work very well for me. Is there a relatively more straight forward way of updating a web browser besides the conventional way? Like by typing a command in my terminal?

#6 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:33 AM

Have you tried through the Synaptic Package Manager or the Ubuntu Software Manager ?

#7 Pentazoid

Pentazoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

No. How would I used the Synaptic Package Manager to upgrade the mozilla web browser?

#8 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,784 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

Personally I'd say upgrade your OS to a current release, like natty narwhale and by default the firefox version will also be upgraded to Firefox7. In addition you'd once again be able to get security updates and bug fixes for your ubuntu, which you don't get any longer for your version as it is too old.

regards myrti

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users