Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with audio front panel

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crpowell67

crpowell67

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:17 PM

I am trying to get my mic to work on the front panel I found the wire it has three single connectors marked Mic-in, Mic Power and Ground I know where the front panel audio header is but not sure which pins to connect them to I have added a link that has the audio header and what each pin is from the intel site

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-015851.htm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:10 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Depending whether you have the High Definition audio or the AC'97 audio, I will tell you which pins you need.

For Intel® High Definition Front Panel Audio

Pin #1 is the left microphone hot wire.
Pin #2 is the microphone ground.
Pin #3 is the right microphone hot wire.

For AC97 Front Panel Audio

Pin #1 is BIASed with Pin #3 and Pin #2 and #4 is ground.

Because they are BIASed, it does not matter which HOT audio wire you connect to which pin as long as you use pins 1 and 3 for audio hot, usually this is a white and red wire, the shield uncoated wire is ground.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 crpowell67

crpowell67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

I am not sure which I have but I only found 3 wires mic-in, mic power and ground so I am figureing I would hook mic-in and mic power to pin 1&3 and ground to pin 2

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

What I assume you are trying to do is hook up the motherboard nine audio pins to a computer case wire harness is this correct?

If I am correct, what labeling do you see on each of the case wire plugs?

They would have labeling such as HDD, Speaker ect.

Now perhaps your case may have some labeling such as micr+ and micl+ and so on.

When reference is given to power and audio, this is often used when special external audio related devices are attached to the motherboard.

It depends on the type of device.

Such devices can be a synthesizer keyboard which simulates an electronic organ/piano and those devices depend solely on power coming from the motherboard, such as how USB devices are powered.

If you can supply me with the model of the motherboard, I can obtain a copy of the motherboard manual and determine exactly what those 9 pins are intended for, besides my assuming what they are for.

If your motherboard has AC'97 Front Panel Audio, it is likely you have a RealTek audio chip built into your motherboard.

Once I know your exact motherboard make and model number, I will have a better idea what we are working with here.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users