Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp 64 bit freezes after double clicking on file name in Explorer

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 DominicGreco

DominicGreco

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

I have been having a problem with Windows XP 64 Bit freezing when a file name in Explorer is double clicked. It happens with any file from any program. And it happens with files on a network as well as files on the PC's hard Drive. Actually "freezing" is not a good description. Operating in super duper slow motion then failing outright is a more accurate way to put it.

For example: I will open a folder on our network and browse to an Excel file I want to load. I double click on the name. Normally the file comes right up. However, more often than not nothing happens. After a couple minutes of waiting I have used Task Manager to discover that the "Not Responding" description is right next to Explorer's name in the "Applications" tab of Task Manager. Eventually the process will either bomb out completely and I'll get the "Send Email to Microsoft" dialog box. Or the parent application will load (in this case Excel) but without the file I selected being loaded.

And it's not just windows in Explorer. If I have an Outlook email with a Image attached, double clicking on the image name SHOULD take me right to the program associated with that file extension. However, it does the SAME thing as mentioned above.

I am running XP Professional 64 Bit with the latest updates as Service packs installed. The computer I'm using is a Dell Precision DWS490 that has an Intel Xeon CPU 3.20GHz along with 2 GB of Ram. Windows Update is set to Automatic so all new updates are downloaded and installed immediately.

I have run a full scan of the computer using our AntiVirus Software, as well as full scans with a myriad AntiMalware programs. I've also run CCleaner and Defraggler to see if they would help.

Another piece to the puzzle,...this is a 3 year old computer (to me at least) and this didn't start happening until just under a year ago. And the only software that has been installed in that time are updates from Microsoft.

Can anyone help me here or direct me to the correct site within Microsoft's labryinth so I can get this fixed? It's killing my productivity as well as annoying the living heck out of me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users