Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer and external drive have no power

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:11 AM

Last night I noticed that my HP Desktop was making beeping noises and the screen was black. My Seagate external hard drive was also powered off. I initially tried turning off the computer without luck. I then resorted to unplugging it from it power source. Both computer and hard drive were plugged in to a power strip directly adjacent to each other. Everything else on the power strip is working fine. When I tried to plug either machine in to several outlets, neither will power up at all.
Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:13 AM

Let's take the external drive out of the picture for a moment. If the computer will not power up when connected directly to the outlet, my first guess would be a bad power supply.

#3 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:35 AM

OK. But I don't think we can take the hard drive out of the equation since both machines have the same problem occurring simultaneously.
Anyway what do I do about a "bad power supply"?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:20 PM

You need to get the computer working first. Unplug the external as well as the external drives USB cable. Then concentrate on getting the computer working before tackling the External.

Basic trouble shooting is start with the basics. The computer needs to be working before the external is of any use.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

You need to try a different power supply. If you don't have one laying around, purchase one from a retailer who will accept a return in the event you don't need it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users