Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amazon sets fire to the tablet market

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:16 PM

I know this is old news by now, but since it wasn't posted here, I thought I would do so.

Amazon announced yesterday a new lineup of Kindle products with lower prices and different choices aimed at all audiences. The big part of the announcement, though, was the information regarding their new tablet called the Kindle Fire. The Kindle Fire's specifications include a full color 7" multi-touch display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB Ram, a heavily modified Android OS, and a dual-core processor. This tablet will not have a camera or 3G access.

From the press releases and announcement it appears that this device is designed to consume content rather than create content. It is designed to listen to music, watch movies, and read books, but not as a productivity device where you can actually create your own content. Just like the AppleTV was designed to consume iTunes content, this device appears to be designed to consume Amazon content such as Amazon Prime. In fact, the Kindle Fire comes with a free month of Amazon Prime.

The Kindle Fire also includes some interesting features such as all of your content being stored on the Amazon Cloud using their WhisperSync technology instead of having to sync the content from your computer. This means that the amount of memory on the device is not as important when you are connected to a high-speed Internet connection as you will have access to all of your content, even if that content is greater than 8GB.

Last, but not least, the Kindle Fire introduces a new browser called Amazon Silk. This browser is a cloud based browser, which means that you would not actually connect to the web sites that you are browsing to, but rather the Amazon Cloud would do the browsing for you and then send you the data. Amazon's theory is that having a many servers doing your web browsing will be substantially faster than browsing directly yourself. There are some privacy concerns, though, that Amazon will now have full access to your browsing habits as all requests will go through their servers.

The largest part of this announcement, though, is definitely the price for Kindle Fire. A high-end tablet running Android for $199 is a very good price and allows many more people, who avoided the higher priced iPad, to dip their toes into the tablet market. This price has essentially split the tablet market and will cause many manufacturers to have to lower their prices in order to stay competitive with Amazon.

The Kindle Fire, though, is not the only new Kindle that has been added to their lineup. Also announced is new pricing for the original Kindle as well as new models such as the Kindle Touch and the Kindle Touch 3G. What many people do not know, though, is that Amazon is able to offer these lower price by displaying advertisements on them. If you do not want advertisements on your Kindle then you will have to pay a premium for that. The good news is that the Kindle Fire only comes in a ad free model.

Below is new Kindle line-up, including the pre-order pages and pricing for each of the Kindle devices.

Kindle
Ad Supported Price: $79
Ad Free Price: $109
Features: Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Availability: Now
Kindle Pre-order Page

Kindle Touch
Ad Supported Price: $99
Ad Free Price: $139
Features: Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display, Touch screen
Availability: Nov 21, 2011
Kindle Touch Pre-order Page

Kindle Touch 3G
Ad Supported Price: $149
Ad Free Price: $189
Features: Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display, 3G Works Globally
Availability: Nov 21, 2011
Kindle Touch 3G Pre-order Page

Kindle Fire
Price: $199
Features: Full Color 7" Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi
Availability: Nov 15, 2011
Kindle Fire Pre-order Page

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

I just happened to look at Amazon the other day before going to class, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the home page. I was like: "Kindle tablet!!! :o :clapping: :thumbsup: :woot: "

Anyways, I think this thing is going to be pretty sweet, and you can't beat the price. Going to wait on the reviews before I buy, though, just to be sure. :)

Edited by keyboardNinja, 30 September 2011 - 06:49 AM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

WOOHOO, they ship to Australia :clapping:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

The major issue, as I see it, is the screen size. We just got an iPad2 for my wife and the screen is gorgeous..... and at 10 1/2" it's still on the small side. The Kindle screen is 7 1/2" and that just wouldn't cut it for me.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

But the Kindle will save you more money :thumbsup:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:55 AM

Yeah, it's nice to save money. But if it doesn't suit my needs it's not worth anything to me.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

It's not that bad, if you love reading and only want to do that then the Kindle would do the trick.

>Michael 

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:03 AM

I'm not in the market, thanks. I was simply posting a comment. And we do have a Kindle in addition to the ipad.

Edited by Allan, 30 September 2011 - 08:04 AM.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:54 AM

That's why it's great to have options...different people have different needs. :)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#10 ViroDox

ViroDox

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

Wow, epic specs for a e-book reader. It's like the next playbook, except much faster, and way cheaper.
Love the fact they put the Android OS on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users