Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell will not complete POST

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sdz121

sdz121

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hi,

My Inspiron E1505 is having problems booting up suddenly tonight. When I turn my computer on, it freezes on the Dell splash screen. I reseated the RAM which did not help. I also reseated the hard drive, no luck with that. I also tried booting without the hard drive, also no luck. I've tried booting up with the battery out and just plugging the laptop into the wall, also no luck.

I've tried powering the laptop up while holding the Fn key. On the top right, it says "Diagnostic boot selected," but it freezes at the same spot - the Number lock, caps lock, and scroll lock lights all blink in unison.

The warranty has expired. Any suggestions on what else to try or do?

Thank you very much for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

You tried booting without a HD? What did you expect to happen? Just sayin.... :)

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Go to the website of your hd manufacturer and download their diagnostic. Burn it to cd, boot to it, run it.

3) To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

#3 sdz121

sdz121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

Nothing new at all. It was working fine yesterday. I closed the laptop when I went out for a couple of hours. When I came back, I noticed the power light was solidly on, which I thought was weird. I opened the laptop and there was a black screen that I could not get off of. Shut down and rebooted, and I've had this problem ever since.

I removed the hard drive to see if it could at least get past the spot on the loading bar that it had been freezing up on. It did not.

How do I bring the cd drive to the top of the boot order in BIOS? I can't get f2 or f12 or any key to work except Fn when I power the laptop on.

Thank you for your help Allan

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

Are you saying it doesn't even get as far as the bios option? If that's the case, I don't know what to suggest. Personally, I always leave the optical drive as the first boot option.

#5 sdz121

sdz121
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:34 AM

It freezes on the very first screen where it shows the BIOS revision. The loadup bar fills up 3/4 of the way and then freezes.

#6 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

Not Guaranteeing success but pull out the CMOS battery for 20 minutes and see if you can clear BIOS. ON your particular model you will find it on top side of Mother board behind the DVD tray (under the key board).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users