Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comfort Food

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:40 PM

Food that is simply prepared and associated with a sense of home or contentment.

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-comfort-foods#ixzz1ZOJl8ZGf

Comfort food is food prepared traditionally that may have a nostalgic or sentimental appeal.[1] Comfort foods may be foods that have a nostalgic element either to an individual or a specific culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_food

I was talking to my sister this morning and mentioned comfort food. I'm curious to find out what people consider comfort food.

I have 2: Meatloaf and home made chicken and dumplings.

Chicken and dumplings was a staple at family gatherings when I was growing up. Good food, great company, lots of fun associated with it.

Meatloaf because it was something my mom made at least once a month and I always think of her when I make it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jeffce

jeffce

Bleepin' Super Saiyan

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

Chicken and dumplings is a good one.

My wife makes the best Queensland Chicken (from Outback Steakhouse)that I now consider comfort food. :)

WFxJwA4.png

mvp_horizontal_fullcolor-(copy2).jpeg

#3 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:43 PM

@ Queen Evie,
Ya know i was thinkin myself about comfort food just yesterday, I wish i could remember
what i was thinkin :lol:
My kids would say homemade Mac-n-Cheese or their momma's Lasagna, my husband would
say Chicken and Rice,me i have several
when i first moved to the cradle of iodicy :lol: I was befriended by a very Sweet
older woman, who taught me how to make "Pork-n- sourkraut with dumplin's, whenever
I make that i think of her.
When I make "Fried Cabbage" I think of grandma, and i'll never forget the first time i asked her how to make it, she told me, i went home and it was a disaster! So the next time we went to grandma's
I asked her what i had done wrong...she got that twinkle in her eye's and i thought RAT"S
she's done it to me again, she was notorious for leavin out the most important ingredient or instruction
when she gave you one of her recipes, and i can still hear her voice sayin"Now Honey
What did ya do to it" :lol:
She also made "Applesauce Cake" now when she gave that recipe to one of my Aunt's
She left out the fact that this is a cake that has to be baked slow on a low temp...
My Aunt made the cake, she said she couldn't have cut that cake with a hacksaw :lol:
I was just happy to know that i wasn't the only one that she did that to :lol:
I was never a fan of that cake,But I still have one in my freezer, because it was the last thing that
daddy ever made for me,it'll probably be there till the day I die :lol:
One of Daddy's favorites was "Kale and Chorizo Soup with cornbread" whenever i make that
I think of him....
When I want somethin comfortin it's usually a bowl of homemade stuffin with some
homemade gravey. and "o" course I do like me some dumplin's with a lil chicken :lol:

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

MissPlaced, if it isn't a closely guarded secret family recipe PLEASE eamil me the recipe for pork and sauerkraut.

#5 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

@ Queen Evie,
No darlin it's not, it's on it's way :lol:

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#6 Jamiemcg

Jamiemcg

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:05 AM

I'd say that pizza is a pretty good comfort food for me, especially if it's from Papa Gino's! Spaghetti and other pasta dishes are also pretty good and can be quickly prepaired, too.

#7 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 09:20 AM

This is my favorite Spaghetti recipe....
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/sunday-gravy-and-macaroni-spaghetti-really-recipe/index.html

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#8 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:13 AM

Fried chicken. Growing up, it was our Sunday meal. Now I also have chicken and dumplings, (homemade dumplings, not biscuits) and spagetti. :blink:
Probably a few others, but those come right to mind..
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#9 Styck

Styck

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

2 Peanutbutter n jelly sandwiches and a Coke for lunch...holds me till dinnertime

#10 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:32 PM

@Styck,
and then what??
What's for Dinner??? :lol:

@Wildabeast,
I bet i've eatin a ton of fried chicken in my lifetime :lol:
What you said reminded me of this...
Eating Dirt~~

Eating Dirt~~

That's just for giggles :lol:

now back to "Comfort Food"
~~ Fried Chicken~~

MissPlaced

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

When I was growing up I spent many summer hours picking vegetables from the garden-which was out in the country and was spread across 5 acres. After picking, came the shelling, shucking, cleaning, canning or freezing and evenutally cooking the vegetables. I figured if I was going to do all that work I'd eat the things.

So to my list of comfort foods add peas (crowder peas, purple hull, field peas, english peas), butterbeans, corn, okra, tomatoes, green beans, and squash. In the wintertime the vegetables we put up during the summer were absolutely wonderful. Another thing we would do is pick green tomatoes so we could have fried green tomatoes.

One of my favorite things to this day is to take a tomato fresh from the garden, slap it between 2 pieces of white bread with some mayo, and enjoy heaven on earth.

#12 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

@ Queen Evie,
WE did that too.. :lol:
I love it all, except for okra, I ain't a fan, I can deal with it in soup tho
some times i just get a yen for butter bean's, Blackeyed peas,kale,collards...
Fried green Tomatoes..YUMMmmm!!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/claire-robinson/green-tomato-and-vidalia-onion-gratin-recipe/index.html
and your right ain't nothin like a "mater" sandwich to make you feel like your in heaven!!
As a matter of fact I love tomatoes just about any way there commin at me
I like to take tomatoes and green squash, with a little Italian seasoning
a little onion and a little olive oil and cook em together
I like em with a couple of over medium egg's on em, i used to and probably
still do have a recipe for "Tomato Jam" it sounds awful I know
that's what I thought the first time i had some, but it's momma slappin
:lol:
I like to stuff em with bread crumb's,spaghetti cheese,a
little olive oil and bake em, I like to stuff em with tuna/chicken salad

there was a year when i was a kid, that we had 2 garden's
we had so many tomatoes, i didn't think i ever wanted to see another tomato
:lol: :lol: , but as you can see I got over that.

MissPlaced

Edited by MissPlaced, 04 October 2011 - 02:29 PM.

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#13 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

With Fall approchin, another one of my favorite comfort foods is apples!!
Apple muffin's, Apple Crisp, Baked Apples, Fried apples,homemade apple sauce,Apple cake
Apples and peanut butter, Apple pie,Apples and Cheese, Apple brown betty...
I made Apple muffin's for the guy that used to live next door,That was a mistake, he
hounded me all the time to make him some more... :lol:

MissPlaced

~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#14 Darwinsrule

Darwinsrule

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

Hmm, comfort foods! I second the nomination for tomato sandwiches (white bread, tomato, mayo, salt and pepper...plus tabasco!)

Another one that I love is Tatertot Casserole. My mom makes this. Pretty simple...ground beef browned with onion, mixed with cream of mushroom soup. Slap that in the bottom of a casserole dish. Top with shredded cheddar and then a layer of frozen tater tots. Put in the over at 350 until melty and browned.

Tomato soup with cheese cubes melted in it. Topped with croutons, although I'll take some tomato soup as is...Now I'm hungry!

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

My variation of tater tot casserole:

Instead of ground beef and cream of mushroom soup, use HOMEMADE chili, topped with lots of cheese.

You can layer it or just mix it all together.

edit to add: I also use frozen shredded hash browns for a casserole. Make it the same way you make the tater tots.
If you want it creamier, add another can or 2 of mushroom soup and some milk. My family loves hash brown casserole with is good for me, because I don't like mashed potatoes so I make this instead.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 October 2011 - 03:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users