Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Freezing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Song153

Song153

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

Hi there!
I recently got this Lenovo Ideapad Y560 about two months ago and at first, it would freeze every once in a while so it didn't bother me much. Nowadays, however, it likes to freeze pretty frequently (at least once a day) which is kind of getting on my nerves. I don't think I've been infected with malware, etc. but I'm not really sure. I was wondering if there was some bigger, overlooked problem with my laptop that could be resolved.

Thanks so much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

What computer activity does it freezes? Is it still under warranty?

Tekken

#3 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:51 AM

What are the specs of your machine? How much RAM? What type and model CPU do you have? What type of motherboard? What Operating System? Is it 32 or 64 bit? To find this info out, check Specy: http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download
Nosce te ipsum.

#4 Song153

Song153
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

Hey, my computer just randomly freezes. I could be just surfing the web or writing a paper and it just freezes. And it is no longer under warranty.

Here is my summary from Speccy

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 @ 2.67GHz 43 C
Arrandale 32nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
Lenovo KL3 (CPU 1) 43 C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 (Lenovo) 43 C
Hard Drives
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000BEVT-24A0RT0 (SATA) 29 C
Optical Drives
MATbleepA DVD-RAM UJ890
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

#5 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

Your specs seem okay. What security software do you have installed? Does the problem still occur if you are not connected to the internet?
Nosce te ipsum.

#6 Song153

Song153
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

I have avast! installed and occasionally run Malwarebytes. I am not sure about the second question. :(
For more information, it's not like I will be running some high-process program and then it freezes. It really seems to be totally out of the blue.

#7 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

Yeah that really does seem odd. I'd suggest you may need to update your security software and installed software as well. You can do this with PSI ( http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ ) I'd also suggest cleaning out temp files with Ccleaner and ATF cleaner: http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER I can't find the download for ATF as it's been taken offline, but Ccleaner should help you out. Please be sure to only clean temp files with ccleaner and do not mess with cleaning the regestry. I hope this helped! If not, I'd suggest posting the issue elseware to see if you might have malware on your system.
Nosce te ipsum.

#8 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:40 PM

I wonder if you may be overclocking your system. Hmm. :huh:
Nosce te ipsum.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:56 PM

Try booting to safemode with networking and to check on the freezing problem.

Tekken

#10 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:25 AM

Try booting to safemode with networking and to check on the freezing problem.

It seems his Operating System is freezing. Booting in safe mode with networking would be a bad idea, since (malware) may be attempting to connect to a FTP server/Database. I think his system is bugged. Specs are good. I'd personally recommend a live CD virus scan.
Nosce te ipsum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users