Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RKIll question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fliphishermahn

Fliphishermahn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:52 AM

Hi all, new member.

Data Recovery user guide suggestion.

Instructions for downloading/running RKill/iExplore isn't clear re when/how RKill actually runs. ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-data-recovery )

Step 3 sez to go to RKill page, then download and run iExplore. Does iExplore call RKill? Do you run RKill separately?

Are these two programs or ???

Am about to play with it but could be clearer.

Thanks all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:04 PM

Welcome to BC Fliphishermahn

iExplore is just a renamed version of RKill, not a separate program. Since some types of malware will target and stop RKill, sometimes changing its name will allow the tool to run. As such there are several differently named files listed on the download page.

Please read RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

I would like to add that iexplore.exe is the name of the executable for Internet Explorer, and that most malware will allow Internet Explorer to run.
That's the idea behind renaming rkill.exe to iexplore.exe.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users