Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Says "frequency Out Of Range, Try Other Resolution"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 azia

azia

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:49 AM

the monitor i'm using works perfectly well until when i have to replace a new harddisk of our cpu. i brought the cpu to the technician and he also is the one who installed the new harddisk since i don't know anything about it. when i tried the cpu at home, the monitor says on it's screen "frequency out of range, try other resolution". i don't know what's the problem. before i brought the cpu to the technician, it was still ok. i would like to change the resolution but wasn't able because when i turn the computer on, the monitor only shows that message. i can't even go to the set-up part. please help! i already tried replacing the cables but still nothing happened

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:53 AM

Have you contacted the tech?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 azia

azia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:27 AM

i haven't yet because unfortunately i forgot to get his contact # and i have no time to go to his place again coz it's far

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:35 AM

You should be able to change the resolution by booting into Safe Mode.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

If you can't change the resolution there, still in Safe Mode go to Start>Control Panel and double click System. In Device Manager click the plus sign next to Display Adapter and highlight whatever shows up. Click remove at the bottom of the box and reboot. Windows will find your Display Adapter when you reboot and reinstall it.

I'm just guessing but perhaps your tech changed the resolution to suit his needs and forgot to change it back.

Edited by Leurgy, 24 January 2006 - 07:19 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 azia

azia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:58 PM

yes that should be it but the problem is when i turned the pc on, instead of generally listing some equipment that is installed in the computer, it is already showing "frequency out of range, try other resolution". that's the only message that shows in the monitor when i switch the computer on

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:39 AM

Are you sure you are booting in Safe Mode? Did you tap the F8 key until you got a menu that gives you a number of boot options including 'Safe Mode'? If you did not see this menu then you need to reboot and try again. In Safe Mode only the most basic display drivers are loaded and the desktop should appear without any problems. Then you can change the resolution, or just save it as it is, to reboot in normal mode where you can change it back to the usual settings.
hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 azia

azia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:58 AM

actually i can't really do anything because as i said before, when i turn the pc on, the monitor only shows "frequency out of range, try other resolution". whatever i click, like say F8, nothing happens. i would like to break it already if only i can replace it right away :thumbsup:

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:47 PM

when i turn the pc on, the monitor only shows "frequency out of range, try other resolution"

You really mean "turn the PC on" not bring it out of hibernation or some other power saving function?

If the monitor shows that as soon as you turn on the PC then there is something physically wrong. During boot up the monitor should show POST messages on the screen (or a manufacturers "splash screen") and these are displayed at VGA resolutions and frequencies before any screen drivers are loaded. Borrow another monitor from somewhere and see what the difference is. Check in the end of the monitor cable for bent pins (some are missing this is normal). Test your monitor on another PC. Open the case and reseat the video card (or is it onboard video?) as outlined below.

If you have a plug-in video card (aka Display/Graphics adaptor or GPU) then here is a step by step to reseat it:
  • Shutdown and switch off but do not remove the power cord.
  • Take off the cover.
  • Hold on to a metal part of the case now and as often as you can during the entire process.
  • Pull out the power cord.
  • Undo the screw holding the video card in place and unplug any cables going to the card.
  • Unplug the card by pulling firmly upward. There may be a latch at the back of the card, press down on this to help eject it.
  • If there is a lot of dust around use a can of compressed air to blow out the card slot.
  • If the edge connectors of the card look tarnished clean them lightly with a pencil erasor.
  • Firmly plug the card back in and secure it with the screw.
  • Put the case cover back on.
  • Check in the end of the monitor cable that there are no broken or bent pins (some pins are missing - that is normal).
  • Connect the monitor cable, turn the securing screws finger tight only, switch the monitor on and reboot.
hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 30 January 2006 - 07:48 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

If you are getting frequency out of range right away when turning on the computer I would definetly take the time to return the computer to the techy that did the work. There might be a loose connection of some sort or a loose video card if it is an off board video card. Do not hesitate jsut take it back.

cya l8r

ThorXP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users