Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore deleted browser history in Firefox 6

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jmlls07

jmlls07

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

Hi all,

Yesterday all browsing history was cleared off my Mozilla Firefox history off Windows XP and I need it back ASAP. I did a search on ways to restore it and realized there was a lot of talk about Firefox 3 etc, etc, along with Firefox History Recovery and outdated programs like that, but I am using Firefox 6 and none seem to be applicable.

Here were my options all which I tried:
1. System restore
2. Decipher index.dat
3. Use SQlite Manager

My feedback from the above attempts:
1. My computer is "unable to system restore", I checked the troubleshooting guide to ensure it was running, adequate space, no errors, etc, etc and all is fine except after it "restores" it says "unable to system restore, no changes have been made". I also tried in safe mode with no luck.
2. I was able to decipher index.dat except it pulls internet explorer history, not Firefox.
3. I was able to use SQLite Manager to pull all history from places.sqlite, but it pulls up all PRESENT history, not DELETED history.

If anyone has further instructions on how I can retrieve deleted history, it would be much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

How was the browsing history cleared?
I found this on the FireFix site.
It may help.

You should not rely on browsing history to store your websites as certain programs will clean it out.
Instead create bookmarks to your favorites.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 jmlls07

jmlls07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

Hi, thanks.

The history was cleared by someone clicking "clear everything, cookies, history, etc"/

Your link brought me to the page I viewed last night, I was able to pull the SQlite files, places.sqlite and downloads.sqlite , entered the correct parameters to view them, and they only showed current history per my post above, and not deleted history.

Guess this means I do not have a backup file and all my history is gone for good, huh.

:(

Edited by jmlls07, 29 September 2011 - 03:38 PM.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:21 PM

Unfortunately yes.

Thats why you should create bookmarks instead of relying on the history.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users