Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore not working - blank screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SteveInGA

SteveInGA

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:19 AM

I'm not a total computer dummy, but pretty close.
Had a nasty google/bing search redirect bug and ran bunches of different scans until finally TDSSKiller by kaspersky cleaned VIRUS.WIN32.RLoader.A
I ran Hitman Pro and SuperAntiSpyware in safe mode as well as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot. I routinely use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot but was a first for using Hitman Pro and SuperAntiSpyware.
Now, when I run a system retore in regular mode, I get "Computer cannot be restored ... no changes have been made to your computer etc ..." regardless of date chosen. When I run system resotore in safe mode, it loads as a blank white screen.
I'm feeling Hitman Pro or SuperAntiSpyware zapped something they might not should have.
Any advice would certainly be appreciate .... and type slow so I can keep up. ;-)
Thanks!
-steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

No way of knowing what damage may have been done by the virus, but you can try this: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srblank.htm

#3 SteveInGA

SteveInGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for taking time to reply, Allan!
Your suggestion is one of the possible solutions I did come across and did try.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:02 AM

Truth is, I'm not sure you'd want to use system restore right after clearing the system of malware anyway. By the way, you've named several anti-malware apps that you've run but no anti virus apps. I assume you do use an anti virus program. And are you 100% certain your system is now malware / virus free (have you tried the Am I Infected forum here)? If so, then you can try a repair installation of XP and see if that gets System Restore working again. Personally, I keep it disabled on all of my systems and use disc imaging software on a regular basis instead.

#5 SteveInGA

SteveInGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

sorry, Allan, I did not clearly explain total efforts as they were over several days and was not clear in sequence.
Yes, I do have virus protection - I use AVAST. 1st thing I did was run a full scan with AVAST.
Next I ran Spybot and Malwarebytes, since I already had them.
Then found Hitman Pro and SuperAntiSpyware and ran them. I beleive they both found "nasties" but the search results redirect persisted. I think it was during this time I also found ATF-Cleaner and ran it.
About this time is when I threw my hands up and tried a system restore - it seemd to run fine, but gave me that "Computer cannot be restored" message. After choosing several diff dates with same results, I then rebooted to safe mode and logged in as admin. That is when the system restore window/screen would not load up and showed just a white screen.
It was after all this that I found a post some place that suggested TDSSKiller by kaspersky.
again, my thanks for taking time to post.
-steve

#6 SteveInGA

SteveInGA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

have you tried the Am I Infected forum here

No, have not. Was not aware of that forum. Will check it out now. Thanks for mentioning it.

then you can try a repair installation of XP and see if that gets System Restore working again. Personally, I keep it disabled on all of my systems and use disc imaging software on a regular basis instead.

Sadly, you might as well be speaking Greek to me right now. But let me check out the Am I Infected forum.

thanks again!

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

Using system restore on an infected system is useless. Please post in the Am I Infected forum on this site.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users