Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ms updates

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sloboat

sloboat

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:32 AM

i'm unable to download ms updates to my computer. i keep getting error # 0x8DDD0002 & this message "to install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the administrator's group. i am logged on as the administrator but i still get the error. any suggestions would be helpful.
it's a 6 year old hp desktop running winxp media edition. thanks r.f.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:00 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316524

#3 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

i tried all the solutions on the ms website to no avail, still getting the same error # & message. any more ideas? thanks. rf

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

Try setting the system to "download updates for me but let me chose when to install them"

Control panel - system - automatic updates tab

That might work
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:59 PM

tried that, still no dice. same error number & message. everything else seems ok, but i really need to get the updates. would it be a bad idea to continue using the computer as is without the ms updates? would something bad happen? thanks. rf

#6 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

You could download the updates manually and try to install them that way. Here's the last update released on September 19th...
WindowsXP-KB2616676-v2-x86-ENU.exe KB2616676 Fraudulent digital certificates could allow spoofing - Advisory 2607712
Try installing it.

Do you get a listing of which updates are due? If not you can go back to the last month the updates work and figure out what you need by looking at my changelog here.

would it be a bad idea to continue using the computer as is without the ms updates? would something bad happen?

It's definitely not good. I would for sure stay away from using Internet Explorer as most vulnerabilities use that vector to infect you.

Edited by .X., 30 September 2011 - 08:44 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:06 AM

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

How to troubleshoot problems connecting to Windows Update or to Microsoft Update - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818018

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/a-one-click-fix-for-windows-update-problems-how-do/bfbdec70-e928-47ee-b073-665c4851bf4c

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users