How to remove the About:Blank Hijackers in Windows XP/2000
(Also known as Hidden_DLL, Appinit_DLLs, About:NavigationFailure, \temp\sp.html, SE.DLL)
What this program does: When you open Internet Explorer your browser will be redirected to a page called About:Blank, sp.html, or About:NavigationFailure. If you attempt to change your home page to another site, it will not work and continue opening about:blank.
Tools Needed for this fix:
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = about:NavigationFailure
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:NavigationFailure
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\DOCUME~1\family\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\DOCUME~1\family\LOCALS~1\Temp\sp.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sp] rundll32 C:\DOCUME~1\fujitsu\LOCALS~1\Temp\se.dll,DllInstall
If you have any of the types of symptoms then you most likely have this type of infection and should continue reading.
- Download About:Buster
and save it to your desktop. When it has finished downloading, unzip
the folder to your desktop as well. You should now be left with an aboutbuster
folder on your desktop.
- Now please reboot your computer into Safe
Mode by doing the following:
- Restart your computer
- After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the
Windows icon appears, press F8.
- Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
- Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
- When you are at the logon prompt, log in as the user your normally log
- Restart your computer
Now double-click on the aboubuster folder and then double-click on the AbouBuster.exe icon. The icon will look like the image below.
- When AboutBuster opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.
- To start the removal process, click on the Begin Removal
button as shown by the arrow in the screenshot above.
- You will then be presented with a confirmation dialog asking if you want
AboutBuster to close all the open Internet Explorer windows as shown in the
image below. Press the Yes button to allow it to do so.
- AboutBuster will start to scan your computer for the infections. When it
has finished you will see an image similar to the one below. Simply press
the OK button and then the Exit button to
exit the program.
- It is advised that you run the AbouBuster twice in a row to make sure you
get all the infections, so please start again from step 3.
- When it has completed again, you can exit the program and reboot your computer to boot into Windows normally.
This is a self-help guide. Use at your own risk.
BleepingComputer.com can not be held responsible for problems that may occur by using this information. If you would like help with any of these fixes, you can post a HijackThis log in our HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.
If you have any questions about this self-help guide then please post those questions in our AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum and someone will help you.