Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Won't Boot to CD or USB Drives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dgilbert

dgilbert

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

(tl;dr: built computer from spare parts. bios config'd to boot properly, but still won't boot from USB or CD... with the exception of Ubuntu(?) Also, swapped Mobo and processor with no luck.)

Hello.

I've pieced together some computer parts that I've had laying around for a while now and managed to get one running... My intentions are to use it as a webserver, among other things... but I digress.

Once I got a working barebones hardware combination together, I added things piece by piece to make sure that nothing was going to have an impact on the computer running or not. After tossing in a couple ethernet adapters and plugging up my USB, I attempted to install Win7 x86 via flash drive.

I turned the computer on, set my boot order to Pendrive->HDD (the only 2 available drives). Ensured that USB booting was enabled on the board, saved my changes and restarted.

It went through POST and came to a pause at a black screen with a blinking cursor for a moment before printing an error that said something along the lines of "Windows failed to start, try inserting the recovery disc to restore..." then a bit further down the screen it printed an error... i believe it was 0x800000e and said that \Boot\BCR was missing or corrupt.

I dug up a couple DVD (IDE) drives and plugged them in. I then set boot to DVD->hdd. Using the win7 DVD, I got the same error. I tried again with the second drive and the same thing happened again.

Determined, I decided to give Ubuntu a shot. It came up immediately from USB and installed without a hitch. After formatting the hdd during the Ubuntu installation, I decided I'd give my win7 another shot. Again, through USB or DVD, i get the same \Boot\BCR error.

I tried to use Darin's Boot and Nuke and a , but it also gets frozen before actually launching.

So... I ask you all... What do you think my problem is? I've ruled out the drives and the media so the problem must be with the machine itself, right?

If so, where should I start looking? Thankfully I've got 2 or 3 of everything laying around so I can work through this rather quickly.

Lastly, I have tried 2 different MoBos, 2 different processors, 2 different DVD drives, multiple media types for installation.. as in I've tried burning the CDs more than once, and reformatted/copied it all back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:09 AM

You likely need to install the driver software.
Nosce te ipsum.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

Seems to me that it's not recognizing the USB boot option...or whatever is on the USB doesn't have the correct files for booting/installing Windows.

This Win 7 disc that you mention...is it a MS disc or one provided by an OEM? A MS Genuine Win 7 disc should boot.

IMO, the fact that the Ubuntu disk worked...absolves the drive, since Ubuntu runs from the disk. That seems to leave your system as the suspect.

Louis

#4 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

Seems to me that it's not recognizing the USB boot option...or whatever is on the USB doesn't have the correct files for booting/installing Windows.

This Win 7 disc that you mention...is it a MS disc or one provided by an OEM? A MS Genuine Win 7 disc should boot.

IMO, the fact that the Ubuntu disk worked...absolves the drive, since Ubuntu runs from the disk. That seems to leave your system as the suspect.

Louis

Could also not be supported in BIOS due to outdated motherboard. I agree, live CD should work.
Nosce te ipsum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users