Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 element93

element93

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:55 PM

So here's the deal. I was updating my laptop from windows vista to windows 7, and in the process accidentally chose "Upgrade" instead of performing a clean install. Naturally it messed up, a lot, then froze. So after doing extended research on what to do, I bit the bullet and shut it off in the middle of the install. Next go round I chose clean install, and it worked. Oddly enough though, when I looked in the windows.old file, all of my files were there except the ones I had put in My Documents. They were all gone, but the size of the folder was the same as before, which led me to believe that they somehow got lost in computer limbo. Is there any process I need to go through or any program I can download to find/recover these files? I would very much like to have them again, as there were some very personal and important documents in there. Thanks in advance everyone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:10 AM

wow it always blows me away ,when people have important and personal data and don't have it backed up to DVD's,
anyway I have used a free program called Recuva in the past with success ,although you may not get all because some may have already been over written in the install process ,good luck .
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 element93

element93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:36 PM

Yes yes I know I should have backed everything up, but I had done an install of 7 before and everything went smoothly and all of my documents transferred fine.
But regardless, thank you. This is much appreciated.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:05 AM

Yes yes I know I should have backed everything up, but I had done an install of 7 before and everything went smoothly and all of my documents transferred fine.
But regardless, thank you. This is much appreciated.

I don't mean to be scolding you ,really ,just trying to enlighten you ,even with a good working computer you should have important data[ i have noting of real important and do it from time to time myself ] backed up the dvd's ,only safe place in my opinion is dvd,s ,hard drive die in a flash ,well kept dvd's last a long long time , never never trust a windows reinstall believe me ,i have been fixing computers for over 12 yrs now and a great percentage of re-installs go bad .good luck

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:20 AM

Worse comes to worst, you can make use of a linux-based LiveCD to access your hard drive and recover all the data you need.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 02 October 2011 - 07:26 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

live cds' are good ,but you would still have to use software to recover deleted /lost files ,would you not .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users