Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewire card compatibility

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 soilent_gringo

soilent_gringo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:32 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a refurbished Dell Optiplex 745 to use for music production. It does not have a firewire card, but I figured it would be simple enough to install one. So I bought one, put it in, and plugged in my recording interface(Presonus Firepod) but to no avail. So I got online and figured out that I should be using a PCI card rather than PCI express. I went back to the store, switched it out, and tried again. No dice. So I did some research and found this(http://www.presonus.com/media/pdf/hardware_compatibility.pdf), but most of those models are old and I don't know which will work in conjunction with the Optiplex hardware. I tried one more time, cause I found a forum and a guy said that Texas Instruments cards almost always work with Presonus hardward. I got the TI firewire card, installed it, and bam...it worked(or so I thought). I played back a song through the firepod and increased the CPU on the Firepod(for the speed of my processor it said I can have it on High...2.7ghz or higher). This made the playback super slow and clip like crazy(CPU overload). So I turned it back to low and it was fine. But then as soon as I turned the Firepod off, it would not sync with the computer again. I tried switching PCI slots...to no avail. It will not sync at all now. I was careful to turn off the Firepod before unplugging, re-plugging cables, etc. Also, my external hard drive keeps freezing as it goes through the Firewire slot.

CAN ANYONE HELP??? This is so frustrating. Is there a card out there that is compatible with both the Firepod and the Optiplex? I would sure appreciate any suggestions that you might have.

Thanks,

Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users