Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot save or upload files.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bellmetalviscera

bellmetalviscera

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

I cannot save or upload files. For example, I cannot upload photos on sites like Facebook, Photobucket, etc. When I click on the "upload" button nothing pops up. Similarly, I cannot save any sort of files. If I click "save as" in WordPad nothing pops up.

I have a laptop and recently the hard drive was replaced by Gateway through Geeksquad (I have a file in my C:\ drive called "old windows."). By their recommendation, I re-downloaded Windows Vista from my reboot disk. I noticed that Vista seems different now (little things like I can't change my toolbar colors). Also, I lost my McAfee Anti-Virus program. Sometimes Windows freezes and I have to manually turn off the computer and restart.

Now this is happening (the inability to upload or save files). Whenever I try to install an anti-virus program (I tried to download SpyBot and AVG) an error occurs at the end of installation. SpyBot sort of worked (there were some error messages at the end of its installation) and I can actually run it. So I restarted Windows in "Safe Mode with Networking," downloaded SpyBot's updates, ran a virus scan (it found two things and "fixed" them) and "immunized." I restarted my laptop but I still have the same problem.

I think I contracted the virus when I downloaded DeamonToolsLite when I was trying to install a Microsoft Office .iso file from IsoHunt.com. : ( What can I do?

Edited by bellmetalviscera, 28 September 2011 - 05:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bellmetalviscera

bellmetalviscera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:47 PM

What happened to the reply someone posted? Was it deleted for being bad advice? : \

#3 Spartacus1

Spartacus1

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

I don't know. This happened twice. Trying to recover...
May thou virus bow at thy mercy when you come to me...

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:53 PM

Yes it was deleted for bad advice.

Spartacus1, check your personal messages.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Spartacus1

Spartacus1

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:56 PM

Yes it was deleted for bad advice.

Spartacus1, check your personal messages.

Sorry about that!

#6 bellmetalviscera

bellmetalviscera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

Pooh. Any good advice?

#7 Spartacus1

Spartacus1

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:02 PM

Please run SUPERAntiSpyware (http://www.superantispyware.com/) and MalwareBytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) for now
Hope this works!

#8 bellmetalviscera

bellmetalviscera
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't able to install SUPERAntiSpyware. MalwareBytes did the same thing as SpyBot -- I was able to download it but several errors popped up at the end of installation. I ran a full scan and it found four errors that I removed. But it didn't solve the problem. : ( Will I have to reformat my hard drive again or is there something else I can do?

#9 Spartacus1

Spartacus1

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

Try running RKill (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rkill) then trying to install them agian
If that doesn't work, try them in Safe mode (With networking). Just remember to update before scaning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users