Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

APU good deal?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alestre

Alestre

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:03 PM

I am quite unfamiliar with APUs, actually I didn't know about them til today. I just knew that most motherboards came with crappy integrated graphics cards.

I stumbled across it when I went through cpubenchmark's best value CPUs.
AMD A6-3650 APU with AMD Radeon 6530 HD Graphics 2.6GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Processor - Retail AD3650WNGXBOX
This is the best value one. Since, I'm really unfamiliar, is the benchmark trustworthy? I looked up the graphics card, and it was average.

Also, this is a x86 APU, so it can't wont register past 4GB right? unless the 4 cores always more?

EDIT: This would probably generate alot of heat right?

Edited by Alestre, 28 September 2011 - 05:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:57 PM

That is a single benchmark using a single PC program. That would not be very accurate, look up several more comprehensive reviews online for a better picture. AMD's APU's, their current generation anyway, blends a Phenom II quad core CPU with a Radeon 6550 graphics core on the CPU die itself. This is different from traditional integrated graphics which had the GPU on the motherboard and, frankly, sucked. This means that a user can get a decent X86 CPU with much better graphics without the need for a discrete add-in graphics card. Because of this, APU-based systems are ideal for home theater PC's, home office PC's, or simply PC's where the need for a graphics card surpassing a Radeon 6550 would be overkill.

As for the RAM thing, Phenom II's, and even Phenom and Athlons before, use AMD64 which is an implementation of x86-64 which is an extension of x86 architecture. To use 4GB or more of RAM, you need a 64-bit capable CPU, a 64-bit capable motherboard, and a 64-bit operating system. Since AMD's APU's use the Phenom II core, which is 64-bit compatible, they are capable of running more than 4GB of RAM. In fact, all FM1 motherboards can take far more than 4GB of RAM. Core count has nothing to do with maximum memory.

AMD is going to be continuing with the APU idea. Sometime in 2012, they will put out their "Trinity" based products which will blend a Bulldozer CPU core with a Radeon 7000. The Trinity CPU's will use a different socket from the Llano's currently on the market.

3939.png

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

The Trinity would probably use the FM2 socket and in my opinion the APU is a great idea for tight budgets.

Edited by killerx525, 28 September 2011 - 08:41 PM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users