Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD Cannot Format

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LaCritique

LaCritique

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

Running Windows 7. I have a seagate 1tb external drive. Before problems I had two partitions; one NFTS, one fat32.

Couple of weeks ago it started making a clicking noise whilst copying over files from my computer.

Other day it kept intermittently giving me an error message when transferring files over about an IO write/copy error or somesuch.

I cut and pasted my files onto my laptop and tried to do a format to clear it all up.

It has become unusable now, came up with an error about not being able to complete a format. Still showed as a device when plugged in.

Other night I ran the seagate discwizard to try format but it always gets to the same point and brings up an error about

It shows up in the seagate wizard as a new blank drive that needs formatting, but can never finish the format.

Any ideas on other steps I can try? Perhaps a good formatting tool or whether I should just give up on it? Quite annoying as its a handy drive and it still has function to it but appears to be corrupted.

Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

The drive is dead. Replace it.

#3 LaCritique

LaCritique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

Balls, only had it around a year too.

Any suggestions on brands? I thought seagate were alright too.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:53 PM

Couple of weeks ago it started making a clicking noise whilst copying over files from my computer.

The first impression of clicking noise is a bad sign, another clicking noise could also be that USB ports not able to power up the drive itself(usually flickering light with clicking sound). Try using error checking tools from your windows system. Right-click drive Properties/Tools then use Check disk options. If you use a standard, single usb cable on the drive, try those dual usb data cable.

Tekken

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:59 AM

There's nothing to check. The drive is dead.

Seagate IS a good brand. Seagate, WD, any brand name that is familiar to you. The thing with hd's is that they can last for many, many years or die in 6 months. Doesn't matter who makes them, sometimes you simply get a bad drive. And when it comes to external drives, much depends on how you use and handle them. They really aren't intended to be powered on and off every day with the system, and they need to be handled with care.

#6 LaCritique

LaCritique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

It runs from a plug so I don't think the power is an issue. I'll try the error checking but expect its failed.

Well it was very light use to be honest, I would only use it maybe twice a month to transfer files over to my ps3 and also kept a total backup which I updated maybe every four months. Just a bit let down.

Think I'm going to get a smaller compact external portable hard drive which is less cumbersome and not as costly to replace with lower capacity.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

Check the Seagate website @ http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=Test_with_SeaTools_and_Submit_Return&vgnextoid=0df7edc52f0fc010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD for rma page or

http://support.seagate.com/customer/en-us/warranty_validation.jsp?form=0 for warranty validation.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 30 September 2011 - 05:31 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 LaCritique

LaCritique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Hi ran the tool and the drive failed the tests.

Warrenty form doesn't seem to work. 'Unknown
Warranty could not be determined'

Thanks for trying though.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

Hi ran the tool and the drive failed the tests.

Warrenty form doesn't seem to work. 'Unknown
Warranty could not be determined'

Thanks for trying though.

Sounds like time to get on the phone to Seagate Tech support.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:52 PM

Considering the current price of 1TB internal drives...and the cost of shipping involved in warranty returns...and the need for a replacement drive...I would just buy an interal drive, unless there's some special reason for uting an external.

Louis

#11 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

my drive made ticking noise, its dead. just get a new drive.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users