Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post Vista Meltdown, Hardware Salvage?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Beach Plum

Beach Plum

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:12 PM

My Vista Pavillion e9120y stopped working entirely and ceased operation during a last ditch reformatting. I once had to send it back after much labor, and have decided to just buy another computer rather then take an intrest in fixing it again. I am fond of computers and have dragged my battered old XP machine from a closet. It too is is an HP Pavillion, but model a320n.

I am wondering if any of the hardware from the Vista machine could be used in the XP machine. The Radeon video card (if it was working properly) is much better, having it's very own memory, which I love. I don't know where it's memory is actually though, but assume it is somehow portable.

I really don't know a thing about hardware installation beyond various HP support instructions during that first tech support time. I do know I can work inside the computer, but have no idea what Windows XP will do if the Radeon card fits in the XP machine.

The Vista Machine also has 8 GB DDR3 memory cards. I would replace the XP's 512 DDR SDRAM cards, but that seems an unlikely hope.

There are two DVD drives, and other such things like connectors. Nothing really needs to be done to the XP machine, but this upgrade would be fun to learn about, not to mention a little profitable in a personal way.

Any insight, instruction, or direction is appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 28 September 2011 - 03:05 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

Crucial.com is a great site for finding the compatibility of MoBo slots. You are right if you assumed the RAMs won't match up. The biggest thing for the graphics is to see if they are both pci chips. the xp machine may have it or it may have a pci-e. After running a system test Crucial will give you a list of things they can sell you. You can then take those numbers and search the web for Samsung/Kingston/ Hynix...ect... (a cheaper stick)

Im not sure if I would bother with adapting the CD/DVD drive if the connectors don't match. Even if they did match, would the xp machine have the drivers to support your new disc tray? You may be able to find an upgradeable disk tray for your xp machine that has a DVD burner or whatever it is you are trying to acquire.

Good luck! happy building!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users