Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Me User, My D Drive And E Drive Have Dissappeared

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lilbit0169

Lilbit0169

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:41 PM

My mother in law has enlisted my help with her PC. She has Windows ME. all of a sudden, her d drive (cd rom) and e drive ( cdrw) are gone. when I look under my computer , it only shows the C drive, and the floppy. I was like , Ok, I'll pop in the old restore disk and re load the cd rom, etc... silly me.. if the cd rom isnt there, I cannot stick a disk in there. altho I went ahead and gave it a shot anyways.. the lil green light blinks a bit, but its not spinning the disk or anything. no rescue disks ever made so no floppys.
Any help.... suggestions... Ideas???
I havent gotten into to far yet as to try and fix and such, so im starting at bare bones... I did however try the system restore.. her last restore point is May 2005 when she had a horrible crash and it was repaired.. It wouldnt let me go and use that restore point.
shes using zone alarm free, and avg free. she has Spybot on there as well. all updated. I did however notice her Windows needs at least 23 updates, so She has not been keeping her windows updated.
any help out there?
Thanks In Advance.
Linda
:thumbsup:
(¯`'·.¸§(¯`'·.¸¤ Linda ¤¸.·'´¯)§¸.·'´¯)
If You cant say Darlin' like you mean it,
sugah, just dont say anything at all.
(¯`'·.¸§(¯`'·.¸¤LuvnTags¤¸.·'´¯)§¸.·'´¯)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:59 AM

Are the drives listed in the BIOS?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Lilbit0169

Lilbit0169
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

:0) I'm unsure if they are listed in the BIOS. How would I look to see if they are?
I did look in the device manager to see if they were showing up in there, thing is, that was before i had major neck surgery 2 weeks ago, and cannot remember if I seen them listed in there with yellow "!" near them, or not. :0) I know that doesn't help you much. lol My Husband is going bring her machine over here today, so While I'm laid up I can be working on it and see what I can get into. I appreciate the help & guidance from ya'll and appreciate that this site is here. I did allot of reading in the tut's last night, Learning some new things... its Great! Anyways THANK YOU< I'll check back later to see how to go about looking in the bios, and then I'll get back to ya'll when I get into that thing.
Thank you again for your time.
Linda :thumbsup:

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:48 PM

To enter the BIOS tap F2 as soon as you start the computer. Your computer may have a message on screen stating to press a button to Enter Setup.... Sometimes it's DEL, F10, or Ctrl+Alt+Enter depending on the brand.

Edited by acklan, 24 January 2006 - 12:48 PM.

#5 Lilbit0169

Lilbit0169
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:28 PM

Thank you Aklan, We got hit with a good snow storm this afternoon, so Hubby will be getting her PC and bringing it over her tommorow. I'll get into the BIOS and see what we find in there and get back with you. anymore help, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I was thinking of talking her into upgrading to XP anyways ~ this maybe the perfect time.. but still how would I, Could I Install if I cannot get the cd rom part of it to work.. lol it still stumps me as to where it went.. Im thinking maybe she got hit with something, somehow...
anyways, Have a wonderfull night. and I thank you.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:31 AM

It's not that uncommon for CDs to fail. Sometimes they just ware out.

#7 Lilbit0169

Lilbit0169
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:37 PM

Im sorry for the delay, had a set back and had to go in for yet another surgery. will be back up and functioning next few weeks.
Thank you for advice & time so far.
Linda

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:36 AM

We will be here when you are ready. Hope you fell better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users