Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dundee1969

dundee1969

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

My problem is that I cannot turn on Media Streaming under Homegroup settings. The check box is grayed out. When I click the "choose media streaming options", a message shows up saying "media streaming is disabled by group policy defined by your administrator".

I am the administrator of this computer, so how do I tweak the "group policy" in order to enabled Media Streaming?

Much thanks.

I have the same problem and was excited to see that there is a solution to it until I found out that Local Group Policy editor is not included in Windows 7 Home Premium edition I have installed. Is there place in my edition of Windows to change "Prevent Media sharing" ?
Thanks, Dundee

Edited by hamluis, 28 September 2011 - 10:26 AM.
Split from different topic, PM sent new OP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dundee1969

dundee1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:05 AM

It looks like that I found solution to my problem (Windows Media Sharing check box grayed out and disabled)and would like to share it with you.

So, I typed "Windows features turn on or off" in start search box. Windows Features windows opens, then scroll down to Windows Media and expand to see Windows Media Player and Center, disable it (uncheck the boxes), you will have to restart your pc for changes to take affect. After PC starts go back to Windows Feature screan and enable (check boxes)for Windows Media Player and Center again. Problem Solved. You now have access to your enabling share and homegroup networks.
I heard that the problem was caused by installing System Mechanic Pro, but I am not sure about that, because I have System Mechanic Installed on both PCs and only my laptop had this issue.

Dundee

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:33 PM

I suggest thzt you remove System Mechanic from your system, it does nothing that needs to be done on Windows 7.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users