Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with server permissions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 meangoat

meangoat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:34 AM

I am in need of assistance. I have an applicaiton that starts off of a file server (fs001) (\\server\folder\program.exe)

So if i am logged into the terminal server (as001) and launch the application as a domain user, i can open everything up except a few features in the application. I cannot access a connector which calls out on the internet to its home site to download information. And i cannot use a send file as email which should automatically trigger a new message windows in outlook to open with the file attached.

Now, if i right click in the file server folder and run the program.exe as administrator. The program comes up and i can do all of the things necessary.

1 work around was giving local administrator permissions to the domain users. But of course, this is not good at all. I need to remove this asap and get them working how the program was designed to work.

I have taken a log of the program.exe running as administrator and running as user. Nothing shows like it is being written to the file server. But i do see alot of information in the terminal server. I am receiving alot of reparse, but i dont find anything that says denied access.

All machines as Windows Server 2008 x64. Domain users have Full Administrative rights to the \\server\folder and all of the subfolders and children. Domain users also have redirected folders and roaming profiles. I have also verified that the users have full rights to the C:\Temp in which they can write a folder or file and the "Creator/Owner" has full rights to subfolder and children.

I am not sure what else to look at. If someone can please help me analyze the 2 logs that would be great. I can provide them upon request.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:39 AM

Help me I'm trying to understand the setup here. You have server that is a file server. You are using that server to host an application for domain users. Is the terminal server set up on the same server or a different server? The application must be on the terminal server for it to be hosted properly. Also check that the terminal server user account (TSUSER I think???) also has the proper permissions on the folder since that will also be part of their permission base since they are accessing it through terminal services. Finally hosting an application through treminal services can be difficult sometimes and can require some tweaking of the hosting server in order to get it to work just right. You may have to go into the registry and edit the specific entries for the application to run as an administrator in order to get it to function under the domain user account

Edited by Baltboy, 09 October 2011 - 07:39 AM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

I was just going to say that, but which permissions in terms of reg edits would be hard since I don't know your key hierarchy.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users