Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd + Cd-rw Drive...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

I have had this problem quite a few times before and thought nothing big of it, but now I think there is something wrong. The drive reads the CDs/DVDs perfectly, but when it comes to burning, 10-60 some % of the CD is unreadable!! This has been going on and off for the past year or so. Out of almost 30 some CDs that my sisters and I burned, nine or so had been corrupted. Do you think that the burner had some funky stuff going on and do I need to be concerned with it, or its no big deal? Also, I recently took the whole computer apart and did a part by part cleaning, via reverse vacuum.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:53 AM

Inconsistent problems like that would make me suspisious of the media, it could also be dirt/dust on the optics. Not all media is created equal, there are brands out there that are less expensive, but you will have to put up with the occasional coaster, I would stick with brands like Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, or Ritek Ridata. One thing you can do is clean you media prior to burning, just wash it in a mild dish soap solution, and dry it with a soft towel, make sure it is lent free before using.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:24 AM

It could also mean the drive is failing. I had the same problem certain media burned OK other's wouldn't, in the end all burns failed and I had to replace the drive, fortunately it was still under warranty.

#4 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:46 AM

Well, unfortunately I don't have the privilege of my computer being under warranty. I bought mine through a third-party.

dc3, I was thinking the same thing when I switch media brands. The more cheaper kinds tend to fail more with me, but for some odd reason I have my friends burn me CDs on the same kinds and they all work.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:37 PM

Appereantly, this problem only occurs when I record a data CD (mp3's, EXE's, etc).

- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users