Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sibyl

Sibyl

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:52 PM

ok while waiting my son made a hell of a bigger mess................he did something but it's trouble no restore poionts.......changed what runs at start up now I have no internet connection......had to borrow another computer while I wait for some help Please tell me what should be running in start up for xp and how to go about enabling the files soooo I can go back to fixing the original problem......and please don't tell me nuke it............re install............no can do at this moment........all my stuff is packed away in a storage unit and I wouldn't know where to look.......................................

I have my original post with my original problem in malware forum............but this is a whole new issue

I did get it that I can get back into safe mode lol that was gone for awhile too. soo please any help will be greatly appreciated but to let you know you'll have to walk me through it cause i'm on my own but better than listening to my know it all son lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:44 AM

Are you able to access the internet in Safe Mode With Networking?

How to Access Safe Mode With Networking

While the computer is turning on, tap F8 once every second until a black screen with white text appears. Using your arrow keys highlight the option Safe Mode With Networking and hit Enter.

Note: If you're using Windows XP, connect to your modem or router with an Ethernet cable, then follow these directions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, let's see this on the problem PC:

Click Start.

In the search bar type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Click the + next to the pane Network Adapters so it expands, showing all installed hardware.

Take a screenshot of this window and attach the file in your next post.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 Sibyl

Sibyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:53 AM

screenshot don't know how and at the moment I don't have internet access to send anything via that computer but

Broadbaand Nextreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
Broadbaand Nextreme 57xx Gigabit Controller-Packet schedular miniport
Cnet pro200 PCI Fast eternet adapter
Cnet pro200 PCI Fast eternet adapter Packet schedular miniport
direst parallel
wan miniport IP
wan miniport IP Packet schedular miniport
wan miniportL2TP
wan miniport PPPOE
wanminiport PPIP

now the problem started when he changed the startup config using comman prompt in MSCONFIG

I asked...he's not being helpful lol but he unchecked everything seems to have stopped the services needed to run at start up I guess I need to run those processes again at startup to get the computer to work so I can then again work on the malware problem sooooooooooooooo if you know what should be running I have that computer on in safe mode administrator just need to know what start up services I need to turn back on so when booted it works ????

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

Why dont you boot safe mode then run MSCONFIG, go to the start up tab & reenable everything.
That might work.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:20 PM

Why dont you boot safe mode then run MSCONFIG, go to the start up tab & reenable everything.
That might work.

Sounds like a plan.

But the startup may be overloaded with unnecessary stuff too.

If you can get us a screenshot or a detailed list of all the entries in there, it would be helpful.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:49 PM

Check device manager for any yellow marks or flags. Click Start-Run-type devmgmt.msc then Enter. Do you see any marks? On MSConfig, there are 3 Startup selections,Normal( Loads all device drivers and services)Diagnostic(Loads basic drivers and services)and Selective which might be where you are currently in. Choose the Normal Startup and Reboot system.

Edited by jhayz, 28 September 2011 - 05:50 PM.

Tekken

#7 Sibyl

Sibyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:11 AM

thank you this worked and someone is helping with themalware sooo I'm done here again thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users