Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wanting To Use 1 Computer As 24 Gaming Server.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trevorveasey

trevorveasey

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:36 PM

Hello, I have two comps that have WinXP home and wanted to run computer as a dedicated gaming server and the other as a computer for regular purposes (mainly to play off the server and friends too.) I have a "networkeverywhere," 4 port router, model NR041. My problem is that other people (not on my network) can't connect with the server. But i can. (thinking that i am just linking with the server through the router not the internet). How can i set it up so I can have a dedicated server and a regular computer so we all can play of the server? THanx for your help in advance.
Trevor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 trevorveasey

trevorveasey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:44 PM

Sorry, Also, Can I disable the routers firewall? If that will work, how can I disable it? Thanx
Trevor

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:35 AM

You need to be able to Port forward you dedicated computer so others can have access. You will also need either :
1) A static IP address so your friends can find you on the internet.
2) Report to them what your current IP address each time you start to game (Via email, telephone, or other means).
3) Use a Dynamic DNS service that allows you to run a server with a Dynamic IP address.

I have used NO IP.com to host a web site from my home computer on my cable modem. It is a free service. Another site that will be of help is Port Forward. The will allow your computer to be accessed to from the internet.

Hope this helps, good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users