Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB mouse and keyboard not working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 B5Anteros

B5Anteros

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:15 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry if this comes out long but I'm just gonna try to put as much info as possible into this post.

A couple of weeks ago we had a power outage while my PC was shutting down. Afterwards, it would not load windows. I tried doing a restore point, then a system recovery with the onboard folder and with the recovery disc. No matter what I did I kept getting the Windows could not load message. So I disconnected everything and let it sit for 20 minutes. When I re-connected it everything was working fine.

Two days ago my PC froze during shutdown and after about 10 minutes I powered it down and went to work. When I got home I received a black screen and the message "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctr+Alt+Delete to restart." I again tried to restore or recover the system. I even tried safe mode. Nothing worked. I kept either getting back to the same message or the PC would just hang up on booting. I thought my hard drive was dead.

Finally I read somewhere online that if I remove the battery everything on the PC would be reset. So I took my PC apart and removed the battery. At that point I noticed a lot of dust in the case and started blowing it out. I checked the power supply fan and it was clean and then I checked the CPU fan and it looked clean but when I looked closer I saw a wall of encrusted dust behind the fan. So I blew that out and then reinstalled the battery.

I connected everything, crossed my fingers and hit power. Halleluyah, my PC booted! It got to the account log-on screen and when I went to log in, the mouse pointer was frozen on the screen. Now, my mouse and keyboard are connected through a USB hub so I powered down the PC, plugged the mouse and keyboard into the USB ports in the back and turned on the PC. The same thing happened. Frozen mouse pointer.

My roommate has a wireless mouse and keyboard kit and the transmitter cable has both a USB plug and a PS/2 plug. So I tried the PS/2 plug first and it still didn't work. Then I tried the USB port on the front of the PC and both the mouse and keyboard worked! I tested the rear USB ports by plugging in my external HD's one by one and they all loaded fine. Even the USB hub works. I tried one more time to connect my mouse and keyboard through the hub but the pointer is still frozen. Other than that, my PC is now working like it was new (that dust must have been a killer,) and the wireless mouse and keyboard are working fine but but my keyboard and mouse still won't work.

By removing the battery did I change some setting somewhere for just those two devices? Or did they both die at the same time? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

HP Envy 1417c = Intel i7 3770 at 3.4 GHz = 12 GB RAM = Pegatron 2AD5 Motherboard = 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 Disk Device = Several External HD's = 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 = Windows 8 64 bit = Mozilla Firefox = Avast Free = Windows Defender.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 B5Anteros

B5Anteros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

Nobody, eh? Oh well. I've had a read of all the posts here that sound similar but none of them really address my problem. I guess I'll keep looking around. At least I have the working wireless setup.

HP Envy 1417c = Intel i7 3770 at 3.4 GHz = 12 GB RAM = Pegatron 2AD5 Motherboard = 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 Disk Device = Several External HD's = 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 = Windows 8 64 bit = Mozilla Firefox = Avast Free = Windows Defender.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users