Last resort time...
* I've got a friends PC (WinXP, P4 2.4GHz, 1Gb RAM, plenty of free HDD [200GB IDE]) with a frustrating fault. I'll be honest, I'm stumped as to whether it is a hardware or software issue.
* PC was presented with the usual malware infection symptoms (running slow, etc), KAS2010IS installed and up to date 'ish, couldn't update because the system was running so slow.
* Other attempts to access the Internet were successful, but so slow as to be unusable.
* It is impossible to access bios, or any 'pre-windows' menus, as PC locks if and keypress is made. Hard restart required.
* D/L Combofix to flash drive from my PC and put was able to run it on infected PC. Reported that no Recovery Console was installed, attempt to install stalled with D/L at 0.3%. Long story short, managed to install RC and run Combofix which did find and remove a number of infections.
* On restart Windows ran better, but Internet access still very slow.
* Installed Malwarebytes and ran a full scan that came up clean (update was not possible.)
* Was able to get PC into safemode though MSCONFIG, but scans didn't detect any infections
* installed HDD to my PC to scan, scan hung at 32% and caused issues with my PC. Issue were resolved and scans came up clean.
* Uninstalled KAS and MBAM, no improvement.
* Reset IE8 and Internet options, no improvement.
* Checked network connection settings, all ok.
* Installed wireless USB NIC and connected to network, no improvement. (I'm running with Dualband Wireless N/Gigabit LAN router, ADSL 8/1Mb)
* Ran hardware stress test, passed all tests.
The above is a summary only, I conducted numerous scans with a variety of reliable apps, but all came up clean. I didn't remove/replace the PCI NIC, but at the time I thought adding the wireless NIC should have made that irrelevant, but in hind site I guess if it was faulty it may have effected all network traffic (maybe...).
So many clean scans makes me think it's hardware, and the fact the the BIOS lockup happens from turnon. Are there any CMOS infections?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Edited by shadowzone, 27 September 2011 - 08:11 PM.