Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC locking in BIOS if keypress, Network slow in Windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shadowzone

shadowzone

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

Hi All,
Last resort time...
* I've got a friends PC (WinXP, P4 2.4GHz, 1Gb RAM, plenty of free HDD [200GB IDE]) with a frustrating fault. I'll be honest, I'm stumped as to whether it is a hardware or software issue.
* PC was presented with the usual malware infection symptoms (running slow, etc), KAS2010IS installed and up to date 'ish, couldn't update because the system was running so slow.
* Other attempts to access the Internet were successful, but so slow as to be unusable.
* It is impossible to access bios, or any 'pre-windows' menus, as PC locks if and keypress is made. Hard restart required.
* D/L Combofix to flash drive from my PC and put was able to run it on infected PC. Reported that no Recovery Console was installed, attempt to install stalled with D/L at 0.3%. Long story short, managed to install RC and run Combofix which did find and remove a number of infections.
* On restart Windows ran better, but Internet access still very slow.
* Installed Malwarebytes and ran a full scan that came up clean (update was not possible.)
* Was able to get PC into safemode though MSCONFIG, but scans didn't detect any infections
* installed HDD to my PC to scan, scan hung at 32% and caused issues with my PC. Issue were resolved and scans came up clean.
* Uninstalled KAS and MBAM, no improvement.
* Reset IE8 and Internet options, no improvement.
* Checked network connection settings, all ok.
* Installed wireless USB NIC and connected to network, no improvement. (I'm running with Dualband Wireless N/Gigabit LAN router, ADSL 8/1Mb)
* Ran hardware stress test, passed all tests.

$%@%#%#%#^!!!

The above is a summary only, I conducted numerous scans with a variety of reliable apps, but all came up clean. I didn't remove/replace the PCI NIC, but at the time I thought adding the wireless NIC should have made that irrelevant, but in hind site I guess if it was faulty it may have effected all network traffic (maybe...).

So many clean scans makes me think it's hardware, and the fact the the BIOS lockup happens from turnon. Are there any CMOS infections?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Gav

Edited by shadowzone, 27 September 2011 - 08:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

<<Ran hardware stress test, passed all tests.>>

<<...scan hung at 32% and caused issues with my PC>>

Not sure what the value of "stress tests" might be...did you run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic?

Replace the CMOS battery?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 September 2011 - 08:32 PM.

#3 shadowzone

shadowzone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:59 PM

<<...Value of a stress test>>. Dunno 4u, but for the most part it eliminated CPU, RAM, GPU,and HDD 4me. The tests I do error check and surface scan HDD. Did not look at the SMART log, but I don't believe that the issues point to a HDD problem. Since clean up accessing data and applications in Windows is as responsive as I would expect from the hardware involved.

Didn't think to replace the CMOS battery, but wouldn't the system be completely unresponsive if that was dead? How would that effect network response. That is not to say that given the age of the system there couldn't be multiple hardware/software issues at play here.

Sorry don't have the man/mod info as I've sent it back to them for the moment. It would have been a good MOBO for it's time, just that time was about 5-6 years ago. Can get the info if you think it relevant.

Edited by shadowzone, 27 September 2011 - 09:02 PM.

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:55 PM

Are there any CMOS infections?

Yes

#5 shadowzone

shadowzone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:01 AM

Thx .X.
Great article, shame they don't provide a remedy. Given it's done by flashing the BIOS, would re-flashing with a legit BIOS image remove the infection? The friend know very little a about PCs, but does a lot of P2P. Have warned them of the dangers involved, but 'boys will be boys'.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

If you suspect malware issues...you should initiate a post in one of the BC malware forums.

Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html , which leads to posting malware logs requested in the BC Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs Forum - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users