Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hooking up a 3rd monitor?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hawk1sr

hawk1sr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

I have an Nvidea Geforce 7300 LE that has one vga port and one dvi-i port. I also have an integrated vga output, for a total of 3 possible monitor? I have SUCCESSIVELY connected and used 2 monitors, one is connected to the vga on the graphics card and the other one is connected to the integrated graphics card. Is it possible for me to connect a 3rd monitor to the DVI-I port on the graphics card? I have 3 identical Dell E196FP monitors. I have already tried connecting the monitor with a dvi-D to vga cable, but it didnt work (im assuming it has to be a dvi-i connector to vga cable)? if in my situation it is impossible, then what graphics card would you recommend?

Windows 7
64 bit
i have one traditional pci slot not being used.
and a pci express x16 slot currently being used by my graphics card.

(I have a total of THREE vga/dvi-i ports)
i have asked this question on many other forums and websites but no one seems to have a definitive answers that works. please help me, i really need to have a 3rd monitor. (im a day trader). Thank you very much

Edited by hamluis, 29 September 2011 - 04:29 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to External Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 urbanninja

urbanninja

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

The dvi-D to vga will not work because it cannot convert a digital signal to analog. You would have to buy a $300 converter box. Alternatively, as you assumed, you could use the dvi-i to vga because that is an analog signal, all the way.

Personally, I would buy a new graphics card so that I could have 3 hdmi outputs, but that's just me.

Edited by urbanninja, 28 September 2011 - 04:17 PM.

#3 hawk1sr

hawk1sr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

what graphics card would you suggest:

I have a windows 7
compaq presario
AMD athlon 2
Nvidia GeForce 7300LE.
I would like not to spend more than $150 usd. I will be doing some gameing, like wow etc. and i would like to have 3 vga ports on it.

#4 urbanninja

urbanninja

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

Sorry, I couldn't recommend anything that still uses 15-pin vga ports. They're so old... Besides, I doubt anyone even manufactures graphics cards that has 3 vga ports. (I checked AMD Radeon's collection and they're all HD, so at most they have only one vga; and then additional dvi or hdmi ports)

I'm trying to find a wireless solution right now. Something like "install software and plug the usb wireless display adapter into your pc; the usb wireless display adapter and it's software relies on your cpu and gpu to scale output resolution to a suitable size based on your network bandwidth; plug the wireless (usb?/Bluetooth?/hdmi?/composite?/vga?/coax?... I have no idea how it would work) receivers into your monitors for awesome wireless multi-display!"

I doubt that a product like that exists, but now I'm interested in it because something like that would be very useful.

---------------------------

Edit: The best I found was WiGig, but it is still in development

Edited by urbanninja, 28 September 2011 - 07:44 PM.

#5 hawk1sr

hawk1sr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

Sorry, I couldn't recommend anything that still uses 15-pin vga ports. They're so old... Besides, I doubt anyone even manufactures graphics cards that has 3 vga ports. (I checked AMD Radeon's collection and they're all HD, so at most they have only one vga; and then additional dvi or hdmi ports)

I'm trying to find a wireless solution right now. Something like "install software and plug the usb wireless display adapter into your pc; the usb wireless display adapter and it's software relies on your cpu and gpu to scale output resolution to a suitable size based on your network bandwidth; plug the wireless (usb?/Bluetooth?/hdmi?/composite?/vga?/coax?... I have no idea how it would work) receivers into your monitors for awesome wireless multi-display!"

I doubt that a product like that exists, but now I'm interested in it because something like that would be very useful.

well is there a graphics card with 2 vga ports and 1 dvi i port? or 2 dvi ports and 1 vga port. or at least a 3 dvi ports?

#6 urbanninja

urbanninja

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

You could easily call BestBuy or Fry's Electronics and ask them if they have any. (If Fry's doesn't have them, then no one does).
Also, you can check the nvidia or AMD Radeon website, but like I said, I didn't find any. The world is moving on to better things. So should you.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:13 PM

Most people just put a second video card in a PCI slot. Alternatively get a monitor with DVI input to use with your DVI-D (Digital) Port.

Other option: Note they aren't cheap and have electronics in them.
http://www.smartvm.com/dvi-d-to-vga-converter-p7556.htm
or
http://www.kvmstuff.com/video-routing/video-converters/dvi-d-to-vga-converter.html
or
http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/DVI-D-to-VGA-Converter/AC1038A

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users