Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ChazeIT

ChazeIT

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:57 PM

Alright to begin, I have an Asus M4N72-E motherboard, with 8 GB's of RAM, 1 TB HD, a GTX 460 video card, DVD drive, and 1000w PSU. Just last night I came to my computer and it was waiting for my password to boot. I entered my password and it came up with a message stating 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key'. Have checked the BIOS and it does not detect my HD. I checked the cables to ensure there connections was stable. I checked with three other SATA cables connected still does not boot or even detect my HD. I tried to boot from optical drive and it still displays the same message. I checked the power cables and they are providing power. I also, checked all SATA ports on the motherboard with no success. I am lost and wanna get this resolved or atleast diagnosed. My HD and Optical drive are SATA. I have determined a possibility of my SATA ports being faulty seeming as I cannot boot from the optical drive. Any ideas as to any other things I can try to resolve this. I have not reset my BIOS yet, that is the last option I got with my knowledge.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChazeIT

ChazeIT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:57 PM

Another thing to add. It beeps once before the BIOS screen and then twice before the message is displayed.

#3 ChazeIT

ChazeIT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

I have done the research on the Beep Codes and that one would signify memory problems, would bad memory be the cause of not being able to detect the HD or boot to optical drive?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:14 PM

Check also under BIOS settings for any options enabling optical drive, SATA drive or AHCI.

Tekken

#5 ChazeIT

ChazeIT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:59 PM

Under storage configuration I have the options listed below
-Onboard PCI IDE Controller > Enabled
-OnChip S-ATA Controller > Enabled
-SATA Mode select > IDE Mode, RAID Mode, AHCI Mode. I was running IDE Mode prior to the issue I am having.

#6 ChazeIT

ChazeIT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

I tried all options and nothing was successful

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:33 PM

Enable only SATA and AHCI(auto-detected) since you only have a SATA HD. You could reset hardware configuration by removing CMOS battery for a couple of minutes. Rarely would I see all slots being faulty, unless the mobo itself. How many beeps do you hear?

Edited by jhayz, 28 September 2011 - 06:33 PM.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users