Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive issues - please help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NightJack

NightJack

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

Hello all.

I've been having an ongoing hardware issue and it has recently reached the point where it is rendering my pc all but useless.

I have built a system using an msi p67a-c43 (b3) motherboard and a Hitachi Deskstar 7k3000 hard drive.

At first, I would occasionally have issues when the pc was coming out of sleep mode. The system would become sluggish, programs wouldn't open, or the desktop would simply freeze.

I found that if I powered off the pc, opened the case and reset the sata cable the issue would resolve itself. I figured it was just a case of a loose sata cable connection and that there wasn't much I could do about it. Because it wasn't a major issue and it only happened once in a while I decided to grin and bear it... but the plot thickens.

I began having issues getting the computer back up and running after one of these episodes. Soon, windows would not start up. I would have to reboot several times before having no choice but to allow windows to run chkdsk. Each time, it found no errors. The pc would boot and I'd be solid gold again until the issue decided to occur again.

More recently, windows actually began finding filesystem errors and bad sectors - so I was worried that I actually had a bad hard drive! Worried that I would have to replace the HDD, I did some quick research and discovered that a loose cable could cause these problems. I bought a locking sata cable and switched the cables. The pc operated fine all weekend, but then on Monday I experienced the same issue again. This time I disconnected all the sata cables and changed their configuration - my sata 1 and 2 ports are behind the video card and I was worried that the card was knocking out my cable - but to no avail. Even with the cables set up in different places, I still can't get windows to boot normally.

I suspect the hard drive might be faulty, but then why can I use the pc for days at a time without experiencing any issues? Why does the issue only seem to occur when the pc is coming out of sleep mode? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as I have quite run out of patience with this situation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

I believe...I don't know...that loose connections can cause a hard drive to develop problems. I say that based on personal opinion of my own experience, rather than any documentation.

I would have replaced the cable right away, once I suspected it.

Louis

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:09 PM

I was looking at a friend of mine's Dell 1540 last night actually. Her's was doing the same thing! I ran diagnostic tests and found no faulty hardware.. reseated the HD and the RAM and still nothing. come to find out the boot files were corrupted in the O.S. So I figure she has a virus or something. It later prompted me after several reboot attempts that a disc should be inserted to attempt repair on the damaged files.

Don't know if this helps or not!? Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users