Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spy Sheriff?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Luna

Luna

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:17 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 4600C, with Microsoft Windows XP Professional, not sure if I ever put SP2 on. I recently had a new icon on my PC, "Spy Sheriff", along with the following; "Spyware Infection. Your system is infected with spyware. Windows recommends you to use a spyware removal tool to prevent the loss of important data and increase system performance. Using this PC before having it cleaned from spyware threats is highly discouraged". My son had been using a IM the night before, and he said it showed up while he was online chatting, and I think he turned all my PC protection off.
I have Norton AntiVirus 2006 upgrade, and Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta). I ran them when I turned the computer on. Both found a lot of problems, and fixed them. The Spy Sheriff icon was still there. I went into the add/remove to remove it from my PC. I still have the warning, and can't figure out how to get rid of it. I have had Dell run online diagnostics, all ok - no problems. I chatted online to a Dell rep. No answers. he sent me to another site with "System.Ini", etc. I have no idea what this site is talking about. I'm sorry this is so long, but can anyone help me? I'm really tired of seeing this warning. I want my normal screen back. Thanks for any help I can get.
Email: "Luna" betsy63h(at)wmconnect.com

Edited by phawgg, 23 January 2006 - 08:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:30 PM

A few things to consider, Luna

SpySheriff is the reason many post here in our HJT Analysis Forum.

Self help (specific) is also here, read carefully & try it you feel you understand what you're doing.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/22402/how-to-remove-spysheriff-winstallexe-spysheriffexe/

Posting your email address is discouraged here. Web crawlers wil harvest over time and spam ya'.

I'll edit it for you this time.

In short, you came to the right place.
It seems to me you'll do fine proceeding with patience. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users