Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is there a keylogger on my p.c.?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 monkeymahem

monkeymahem

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:08 PM

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and I am hoping someone out there might know how to answer my question
regarding whether there is a keylogger on my desktop or not.

Background. In a nut-shell, after I accidentally uploaded my passwords to various internet sites onto my outlook calendar at work, some very immature work colleagues (IT professionals)decided it would be fun to access those accounts and read my private emails, what I had purchased on amazon etc. and then drop it into conversation during a normal working day.
I know, they have no lives of their own obviously :wink:

I also had the WEP key to my home wireless network on the phone as if things were not bad enough and I strongly suspect that they hacked my wireless network due to other conversations
that involved documents that were on my home P.C.

When my partner accessed her hotmail account yesterday it was obvious that it was open
in another location, every time she selected the drop down list for changing the security
question it would quickly be deselected, this went on for a couple of minutes, back and forth.
They had already hacked my hotmail account and I had to delete everything in it and close
it. The only way they could have accessed my partner's account without guessing the password
was via keylogger on my home p.c.
I have reverted back to an ethernet cable plugged into the phone jack, downloaded malware bytes and I have Norton installed, I have disabled wireless on the router, IP address is dynamic.
I am currently using the on-screen keyboard to put in passwords but how do I know if there
is a key logger or worse on my machine?

Also, I had a blackberry and a Nokia hacked by these people and keyloggers installed on these too, they are gone back to the factory to be flashed, change SIM etc.
I figure they must have used a man-in-the-middle attack on my phone throught the partition
at work, crazy, I know.

I am now also recieving silent calls to my home phone number (which was on the cell phone)
via a skype account, I don't think they like me very much :mellow:
Any advice regarding future security would be much appreciated, checking if there is
a keylogger installed etc.

Thanks,

MM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Spartacus1

Spartacus1

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:37 PM

Step 1:On your PC, Download Google Chrome (http://www.google.com/chrome) and Sandboxie (http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie). Set Chrome as your default browser (Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Set program access and defaults > Custom > Google Chrome > Ok), right-click on the yellow diamond icon on the right side of your taskbar, highlight DefaultBox, click "Run web browser", right click on the yellow icon again, click "Show window". In the new window that pops-up, you should see, under DefaultBox, SandboxieRpcSs.exe, SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe, SandboxieCrypto.exe, and chrome.exe. If you see another Application, right click it and choose "Terminate Program".

Step 2 (for Windows XP): Click on Start menu > Control Panel > Network Connections > Right-click on "Local Area Connection" > Properties > Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" > Properties > Use the following DNS server addresses > Preferred DNS Server : 8.8.8.8 > Alternate DNS Server: 8.8.4.4 > Ok (Or, to see official instructions, go to http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html)

Step 3: Go to your email and change your password to one no one would suspect it to be.

Hope this solves your issue!

Edited by Spartacus1, 28 September 2011 - 06:49 PM.

May thou virus bow at thy mercy when you come to me...

#3 monkeymahem

monkeymahem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

Hi,

I've done that, thanks for the help!

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic