Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2003 login errors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 angerli

angerli

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:23 PM

Hello! My Outlook 2003 is suddenly driving my nuts. All of a sudden, it's requiring me to log in to download any e-mail. Worse than that, the log-in pops up every five minutes. Worse than that, I can't close Outlook without doing the log-in again.

This is nuts. It never used to do that. It used to download and send all my e-mail without ever having to log in. I don't know where this log-in nonsense came from. I've even run the installation disk to "repair" my Office 2003, but to no avail.

I can find nothing in my Outlook Options tab that has anything to do with this log-in stuff. I've even deleted my e-mail account and re-entered its stats, all to no avail.

Can someone please help me with this?? You can e-mail me directly at:

Thanks, gang!!

Sandy Gerli
Durham, NC

Mod Edit: Remove email as we do not work off forum. It defeats the purpose of the forum and we cnnot monitor the instructions given to be sure they are safe. Thanks.

Mod Edit: Edited to merge additional data posted 30 Sep 11 ~ Hamluis.
Soon as Outlook opens, I get the little login/PW screen. NEVER USED TO. So I type in the PW (username fills in automatically) and it downloads my email. THEN about three or four minutes later, the window pops up again, even if there's no email to download! So I fill it in just to get rid of it. THEN I can't close Outlook without (yep, it pops up again...) filling the damn thing in again.

This email download used to be totally automatic, never a problem. Now, I can't get rid of it.

I've even tried to delete the e-mail account, reboot and re-create it. No dice.

I've just DELETED the whole Office 2003 Professional suite and swept the HD. Then, reinstalled the whole suite and made sure the SPs were all updated. Guess what, gang.....the blasted login/PW window is there again.

Thanks for anyone's kind and knowledgeable help.

Edited by hamluis, 30 September 2011 - 03:38 PM.
Moved to Business Applications from XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:19 PM

The reason it keeps prompting you is that outlook is setup to check for emails every so many minutes. You can enter your email and password so they are automatically entered without prompting you. Go to Tools > Email Accounts > View or edit an existing account and click next > Highlight the proper account and choose Change > check the remember password box and enter your password > Click the More Sttings button > Choose outgoing server tab > Check the outgoing server requires authentication box > make sure the use same settings as my incoming mail server box is selected > click OK > Click Next > click Finish. That should do it for you.

Edited by Baltboy, 01 October 2011 - 05:19 PM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

Please keep the responses as replies to you original posting. There are a lot of other good people here too and without them having all of the interaction and results it can be difficult for them to follow along or help with your issue. I will post them here for the record.

Hi, Batboy! Thanks for your suggestions. I tried as you suggested and saved everything. Closed Outlook and went back in. Asked for my PW again. Went to change the account. Outlook had NOT saved my PW and I had checked the 'save PW' box in both the incomng and outgoing server tabs. Now, I'm thinking that Outlook's been corrupted by something. Any other suggestions? Sure do appreciate your help!

Hi, again! I looked up in Outlook Help, a there's an MS article on Outlook PWs not being saved because of corrupted data; MS recommends using REGEDIT to delete a possibly-corrupted profile key, OR adding another profile. Didn't want to do the latter, as I'm the only one on my PC. So, I went the REGEDIT route. Went through the steps, and rebooted. Well, there's no difference from that. My PW is still required to download or send ANY mail. Maybe it's time to upgrade to Outlook 2007, or maybe I should upgrade from XP Pro SP3 to Win 7??

I'm betting that there's something in the Registry that's causing this annoying Outlook PW problem. I have no boot-up PW, don't need it.

Mark Twain

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

I would try the create a new Outlook profile route from the Microsoft article you are referencing. It makes sense that it had probably been working before and then when the Outlook profile corrupted was when you started to have issues. Just follow the instructions and attempt to save the password to see if it works properly. If so you can always remove the older corrupted Outlook profile later.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users