Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't boot on Dell laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dujan

dujan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

When I power on my Dell 1545, it goes to the Windows Error Recovery screen. Choosing LAUNCH STARTUP REPAIR results in a screen that says Windows files are loading, then goes to a blank screen where it hangs. Choosing START WINDOWS NORMALLY results in the process hanging at the STARTING WINDOWS screen.

Attempting to boot the computer in Safe Mode results in the process hanging at \Windows\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS

I was able to remove the SATA hard drive, hook it to my desktop and recover all my files.

Attempt to boot from the Windows 7 Installation CD results in the process hanging at the STARTING WINDOWS screen.

Attempt to boot from the Windows 7 Installation CD with the hard drive removed results in the process hanging at the STARTING WINDOWS screen.

I was able to boot Ubuntu from the CD and navigate through the computer.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. I am able to access the BIOS setup, but can't make any changes because the touchpad will not move the pointer. A USB mouse will allow the pointer to move, but not when I'm in the BIOS setup.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by dujan, 27 September 2011 - 12:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dujan

dujan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:34 PM

Update: Pulled the hard drive out, hooked up to my XP machine and formatted it. Put it back in the laptop, now get a NTLDR is missing error. Restarting and booting from a Windows 7 CD results in the same thing as above - the process hangs at "Starting Windows" page.

What's going on here? Is it BIOS? Am I looking at a new motherboard?

Edited by dujan, 28 September 2011 - 04:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users