Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I stop a program from loading

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eboknight

eboknight

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:31 AM

I have a program File: C:\\windows\MAKGKEY.exe Opened by: C:\\windows\MAKTray.
It opens every time I boot my computer and avast flags it as a suspicious program so I cancel opening.
How do I get rid of this aggravation.
I am running windows XP pro.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:02 AM

It is the HP Modular Access Keyboard software that is used to control the function of the hotkeys on the HP keyboard. It is safe to keep in the startup group.

http://www.what-process.com/process-info.aspx?p=MAKTray.exe

You can stop the process from running at start up OR uninstall it. If you use the hotkeys, uninstalling will make those keys not work.

To keep it from loading on start up, download, install, and run AutoRuns

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 September 2011 - 09:29 AM.

#3 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:29 AM

It is the HP modular access keyboard software for hotkeys.

Unless of course some infection took it over. Avast may be giving a false positive.

If you don't run a HP, let avast quarantee or delete it, or add the path of the file to ignore list.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#4 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:05 AM

Great with your help I decided what I wanted to do. I am running a HP so I did not want to delete the program and I do not feel it is infected. So what I did is when the window asking what to do with this program popped up I clicked open normally and with avast at the bottom of the window it has a box you can check to remember answer, I checked that and there you go no more annoying pop up window.
One more question though if I wanted to check to see if this specific program for infection how would I go about doing this, would a standard scan find an infection or do I have to do something more specific.
Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users