Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes/crashes after shutdown/start up

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dawul

dawul

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:50 AM

Computer information/Specs
HP Elite e9150t
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Mainboard : PEGATRON CORPORATION TRUCKEE
Chipset : Intel X58
Processor : Intel Core i7 920 @ 2666MHz
Physical Memory : 6144MB (3 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD10EACS-00D6B1 (1000GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH40L
Network Card : Intel 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection
DirectX : Version 11.00
I don't know power supply manufacturer or model, its a 450W though (yes pretty low)

Some things I want to note regarding past and what not, I bought this new about 2 years ago, it had Vista on it originally, upgraded to Windows 7 Home later. I've had the same issues I will post below across all 3 of the operating systesm (Vista Home Premium (if there was a premium), 7 Home Premium, and Ultimate now).

Now onto the problem. Occasionally my computer will begin to stutter(best word I can describe it with), where the video will freeze a little then try and play some more and keep doing this resulting in a "stutter" as I'm calling it. I notice it more when I'm playing a video game, but it has happened playing videos before, even off youtube. The audio will stutter as well, where a sound gets stuck and it plays it repeatedly for a split second or whatever, longer than what the sound should be, then it will move on and do it again. It will do this for maybe a minute or less, and it progressively gets worse until it completely freezes. I can't remember specifically how it played out in the past in regards to video, but I think the last frame it was showing would stick, and that is what it does most recently. The audio in the past would stick, repeating a single sound, whatever it was playing when it finally froze. More recently on the audio though I haven't noticed the audio to be stuck repeating, but that could just be coincidence in that it wasn't playing a sound when it eventually froze. At this point, no inputs work, no ctrl alt delete etc, no mouse movement. All I can do is just hold the power button for a few seconds and shut it off (obviously not the "proper" way).

Onto things that I have tried and I think its got to be a hardware issue that's why I put it in this area but obviously I don't know the issue so it could be anything for all I know. I updated my Nvidia drivers first because it seemed to be the most likely solution, but that didn't fix it. I've ran memtest to see if memory had any issues and nothing wrong there. The current hard drive I have is different than the one originally so the problem still occurs even using a different hdd. Here's where it gets a little strange though. What I've noticed is, if I shut my computer down at night, next time I turn it on and try to play a game or watch videos (sometimes even just listen to music), that is when the issue happens. I'll notice the stutter, and I'll just immediately try and restart my PC. Once I restart it, (NOT shut down/wait a few seconds/start up), all is good. I can go back to playing games or whatever and almost certainly won't have that problem again. This also happens if I put the computer into sleep mode, if I put it into sleep mode at night, the issues will happen again. Restart, and its good. If I just leave my computer on all night, no sleep or anything, I don't get any issues with it.
BTW, I monitored temperatures with a program and while it gets relatively hot, its not real bad.

This has been happening since I've had the computer (over 2 year span) which is why I thought it could be hardware related. Hopefully I didn't forget anything but since its been happening over a 2 year span there could be things that I don't remember right now.

One extra note: I can't say that it happens consistently, in terms of every single time I do a cold boot or wake from sleep that it will mess up, but from what I can recall, it seems as though everytime the problem occurs its been following those.

Edited by dawul, 27 September 2011 - 03:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users