Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Time Building, Hdd & Partition Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mama4cats

mama4cats

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:31 PM

WOO HOO! Built my first computer and it runs! But, before I bust my arm patting myself on the back, I could sure use some input before I get ahead of myself.....again.

I started with a Maxtor SATA hdd, but was not able to get the board to recognize it, got frustrated, reset BIOS and put in a WD 120GB IDE/ATA just to see if it would work, and it did.

The WD drive was formatted by the installer on the disk that came with the WD drive and XP is loaded, and that's when I realized it: I had not run the cd that came with the motherboard since I reset the BIOS, before I swapped out the hard drives.

I have not updated the BIOS from Asus yet, nor installed any drivers.

The partitions on the WD hdd are not the way I would like them, and I would still prefer to use the larger SATA hdd as the main drive.

What can I do to get back on track now? Thanks for any advice!

Jeez, just one "Aw Sh%", wipes out 10 "Atta Girl"s

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:22 AM

Is the SATA drive on a Raid controller? If so you need to initialise the drive in the raid setup. I have a MSI mobo at home with SATA Raid controller and only one drive connected. If I don't initialise the drive with the raid setup the bios won't see the drive.

Make sure you have the drivers handy when you install WinXP and press F6 to install the drivers so XP setup will see the SATA drive.

#3 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:58 PM

you will need to review your mobo manual on how to enable the sata controller for your motherboard >>>>> most likely (many times anyway) just installing the motherboard chipset drivers (on mobo cd) will get you started in that direction >>>> you will need to partition and format the drive too
but the bios must be able to see and correctly identify the drive on start up or you cant go any further

http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives.htm

#4 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for responding.

Sorry to be so dense, but I know less than nothing about RAID....thought it only applied if you had 2 identical drives where one was a mirror of the other....

My board has connections on it for SATA 1 & SATA 2 drives, so I just plugged the drive in and crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

I found the RAID manual, I will read it and probably have more questions! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Much appreciated!

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

#5 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:04 PM

It looks like I've made a mess of this for sure. More information results in more questions.

Just for clarification, no sense in spreading my confusion to others.....

Computer A is this one I am working on now. Motherboard is SATA compatible.
Computer B is an older one with a dead drive. Motherboard is not SATA compatible.

The WD EIDE/ATA drive I ignorantly installed in Computer A was intended to replace the dead drive in computer B. The Maxtor SATA drive was supposed to go into Computer A.

Since XP is now installed on the WD hdd currently residing in Computer A, is it possible to remove this drive and put it in Computer B? If so, should I put the Maxtor SATA in Computer A before or after removing WD drive?

Is there now information on the WD drive that is motherboard-specific to Computer A that would cause issues for Computer B's motherboard if the drive were to be moved? If so, is it possible to mitigate these issues?

Are there other things I should consider that I am not seeing? The result I am hoping for is 2 working computers.

Any suggestions or advice to get to that point would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#6 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:18 PM

Once a hard drive has been installed ina computer as the role of BOOT drive then swapping it into another computer gets a tad bit more complicated >>>>> it can be done

you have two choices

1) do a Win XP repiar install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

2) run SYSPREP while the boot drive you want to transplant is still in the "other" computer / my preference would be the use of sysprep
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=772307

the main reason why this preocess is required is the giagundo difference in hardware profiles >> especially the motherboard chipset >>>> when the trasplanted drive boots up in the new environment and the OS HAL (hardware abstract layer) sense the completly different and non matching hardware environment ~~ it causes the OS to freak out and bsod

choose one of the two steps above >>>> and live happily ever after >>>> the sata drive shoudlnt have that problem becasue the OS ahs not been isntalled on it yet

regards

joe

#7 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:41 AM

Thank you for the links!

I need to read more about RAID and this new info and make sure I understand it fully before I do anything else.

No doubt I'll have more questions when I'm done reading all this. Yikes.

Thanks again to everyone for the guidance so far!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users